LeBron James and Carmelo Anthony Weight Loss Inspired by Kobe Bryant
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | August 19, 2014 12:45 PM EST
NBA superstars LeBron James and Carmelo Anthony are following Kobe Bryant's model of longevity this summer - they are watching what they eat and are losing weight.
Judging by the Instagram posts of James, he has visibly lost some 10 to 12 pounds and Carmelo Anthony is following suit by taking a new regimen to shed weight. They are both entering the last phase of their careers and possibly their final mega-deals with their respective teams and they only have to look at the early 2000s best superstar-Kobe Bryant.
Kobe Bryant (C) of NBA's Los Angeles Lakers attends a promotional event in Shanghai, July 31, 2014.
According to a report from Yahoo Sports, the regimen of the current crop of NBA stars can be credited to Bryant's effort in his younger years.
Kobe Bryant has been the model of fitness. In 2007 when he was turning the leaf and saying goodbye to his 20s, the Black Mamba went on a vegan route and shed 20 pounds. The results speak for itself as he recorded a dominant stretch from 2007 to 2010 when he won two titles, one Most Valuable Player award and two Finals MVP citations. He also remarkably missed only 9 out of the possible 246 regular season games in the span of three years.
The feat was astounding as Kobe was considered an outlier given that basketball players who reach their 30s usually decline. To top it all even after at age 34, he was still in the top ten players in scoring and leading a Los Angeles Lakers squad headlined by top players such as Dwight Howard, Pau Gasol and Steve Nash.
Kobe must be rubbing off the work ethic to younger stars and former 2012 Olympic teammates Anthony and LeBron. The summer of 2012, not contented with his further physical improvement, Bryant shed an additional 16 pounds by undergoing a training program to alleviate weight on his knees.
"With summer basketball leading directly into the season - and I'm expecting to play until next June - I have to take some load off my knees. I've got to shave some of this weight," Bryant told the Guardian.
This is the same reason the best player in basketball, James is also going back to his earlier years' weight, to relieve weight on his knees and extend his longevity. Carmelo Anthony, who just signed a mega-deal to stay with the New York Knicks is also visibly trimmed, in an effort to prolong his career.
In a league that has a mark of imitation, LeBron following suit to Kobe's plan is a testament to how the best players borrow from the past generation's alpha. Even Kobe has an unlimited number of videos seemingly taking from the playbook and moves of Michael Jordan. Well as the cliché goes, imitation is the highest form of flattery.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop