Chris Algieri Warns Manny Pacquiao That He’ll “Dominate Down the Stretch” [VIDEO]
By Justin Noel Cudaihl | August 19, 2014 12:08 PM EST
Before dodging Manny Pacquiao bombs on their November fight in Macau, Chris Algieri has to duck criticisms claiming the he doesn’t deserve to face the Filipino or the shot at boxing glory. The undefeated American knows better however saying that he has earned the big-money bout and will look to prove doubters wrong come fight night.
Boxer Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines greets a fan as he makes his official arrival at the MGM Grand Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas
Undefeated in 20 bouts, the 30-year-old Algieri (20-0-0, 8 KO) promises that he will “dominate” the 35-year-old Pacquiao (56-5-2, 38 KO) in the latter rounds of the scheduled 12-rounder.
"I'm gonna be an entirely different fighter when I fight Manny Pacquiao," Algieri said in an interview with Jim Lampley of HBO Sports.
"I'm different every time I fight and I train specifically for my opponent so we're gonna have a perfect game plan for Manny... I will use my conditioning to push the pace, the pace that he's not used to at this point of his career and look to dominate down the stretch."
In previous interviews with different media outlets, Algieri was clearly pissed that fans, pundits and even the media and Pacquiao’s camp are overlooking him.
"Mark my words, I'm coming fully prepared and I think Manny knows this and Freddie knows this as well,” Algieri said to boxingscene.com.
Algieri, who hails from Huntington, New York, U.S.A. went on to state that he isn’t in it just for the “payday” and that the Filipino should not look past him. However, it appears the Pacquiao camp is indeed taking him lightly.
"I have no idea why he picked that guy," Pacquiao's trainer Freddie Roach said to ThaBoxingVoice.com. "But he told me that he beat Ruslan, he's a good fight for Manny and then that was it."
While undefeated, Algieri's resume doesn't look too impressive. His lone "big win" was a controversial split decision victory over Ruslan Provodnikov last June 2014 which earned him the fight against Pacquiao.
Meanwhile, Manny Pacquiao has yet to set-up a formal training camp in the Philippines. One of the top pound-for-pound boxers in the world is also busy as a congressman and recently had declared for the annual draft of the local pro league, the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) in the country on top of being the head coach of a ballclub there.
There are also issues between Roach, Bob Arum, the head of Top Rank Promotions and Pacquiao about where they should hold the training camp plus the arguments about the Filipino’s basketball activities.
Watch the full interview of HBO with Algieri and his thoughts on the Manny Pacquiao fight:
The Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri bout will be for the World Boxing Organization (WBO) welterweight title and will be held at the Cotai Arena, Venetian Resort in Macau on Nov. 22, 2014.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28