Transfer News: Manchester United On The Verge Of Signing Mehdi Benatia
By Mohammad Sohaib | August 19, 2014 12:00 PM EST
Roma's Mehdi Benatia is all but ready to come to old Trafford as Louis van Gaal's Manchester United is desperate to sign players after a humiliating start at the premier league season. United has a fairly quiet transfer season, where they could only pull off two transfers--Andy Herera and Luke Shaw. Van Gaal, after the defeat to Swansea, said that he needs to sign more players.
AS Roma's Mehdi Benatia celebrates after scoring against Genoa during their Serie A soccer match at Olympic stadium in Rome, January 12, 2014
Benatia is a central defender, who has been lauded by many around the world. He has been in contention for a potential signing for Chelsea, but has understandably turned around to accept United's offer. He flew to Old Trafford although there were talks that Roma was also negotiating with Chelsea and were set to make a transfer move. However, Chelsea and Manchester United are set to fight to keep Benatia. United will have an edge in the transfer fight as they are desperate to land a defender at Old Trafford.
Manchester United dreamt of starting the pre season by winning everything that came its way. However, the start of the season for this team was filled with injury worries, which thwarted their chances of making a winning start. Nine of its first team players were injured and two from the reserves were given a debut. Manchester United was beaten 2-1. The defeat clearly suggested the lack of strong defense. The ball wasn't moved up the defensive blocks and the Van Gaal system wasn't working at its full glory.
The defeat to Swansea has raised questions on the laid back approach of the Manchester United chairman Ed Woodward. He has been criticized by the former United legend, Paul Scholes, for not bringing enough quality through transfers. Louis van Gaal, however, seems confident that he will bring that old winning atmosphere in the United ranks. He assured the fans previously that he is assessing the squad and a transfer will be made soon.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation