Transfer News: Manchester United On The Verge Of Signing Mehdi Benatia
By Mohammad Sohaib | August 19, 2014 12:00 PM EST
Roma's Mehdi Benatia is all but ready to come to old Trafford as Louis van Gaal's Manchester United is desperate to sign players after a humiliating start at the premier league season. United has a fairly quiet transfer season, where they could only pull off two transfers--Andy Herera and Luke Shaw. Van Gaal, after the defeat to Swansea, said that he needs to sign more players.
AS Roma's Mehdi Benatia celebrates after scoring against Genoa during their Serie A soccer match at Olympic stadium in Rome, January 12, 2014
Benatia is a central defender, who has been lauded by many around the world. He has been in contention for a potential signing for Chelsea, but has understandably turned around to accept United's offer. He flew to Old Trafford although there were talks that Roma was also negotiating with Chelsea and were set to make a transfer move. However, Chelsea and Manchester United are set to fight to keep Benatia. United will have an edge in the transfer fight as they are desperate to land a defender at Old Trafford.
Manchester United dreamt of starting the pre season by winning everything that came its way. However, the start of the season for this team was filled with injury worries, which thwarted their chances of making a winning start. Nine of its first team players were injured and two from the reserves were given a debut. Manchester United was beaten 2-1. The defeat clearly suggested the lack of strong defense. The ball wasn't moved up the defensive blocks and the Van Gaal system wasn't working at its full glory.
The defeat to Swansea has raised questions on the laid back approach of the Manchester United chairman Ed Woodward. He has been criticized by the former United legend, Paul Scholes, for not bringing enough quality through transfers. Louis van Gaal, however, seems confident that he will bring that old winning atmosphere in the United ranks. He assured the fans previously that he is assessing the squad and a transfer will be made soon.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Rafael Nadal To Kick Off 2015 Season At The Mubadala World Tennis Championship, Undergoes Knee Treatment Prior Appendectomy
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2