Xbox One UI Slated For an Update Before Christmas as Expansive List of ID@Xbox Games Get Announced
By Gel Galang | August 19, 2014 11:50 AM EST
Who said that Microsoft isn't listening to fans? It seems that the Xbox One creator had completely switched gears and has become very effective in listening to the woes of the Xbox One community.
A scene from the Xbox One "Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare" game is demonstrated during the Xbox E3 Media Briefing at the University of Southern California's Galen Center in Los Angeles, California June 9, 2014. REUTERS/Kevork Djansezian
During a closed-doors demo, Microsoft's Albert Penello had talked about a new upcoming change in the Xbox One UI, which is the makeover of the Snap.
"We're completely revamping how Snap works," Penello said as quoted by VG 24/7. "A lot of people who came from 360 have said, 'Hey, there's a lot of stuff that the 360 guide provided that I have to take multiple steps to get to on Xbox One.' So, we're creating this Snap Center."
This Snap Center gives you a compass approach to controlling the Xbox One. This means that after tapping the Xbox button, you can access four options, namely messages, friends, parties and achievements right on the screen and without leaving where you previously were.
This will bring the Xbox One's UI closer to how it was with the Xbox 360, which Microsoft feels is what the fans really want.
More Incoming Features Scheduled
With the August Xbox One System update already live for everyone, and the September System update already rolling out to participating testers, the Xbox One is slated to have more features, as announced previously.
One of these is the wireless sharing of music and videos from the PC through the home network onto the Xbox One. Soon, it will also be made possible for the Xbox 360.
"If you set your sharing on PC for videos, the console will pick that up as well. You will be able to do that. When the media player update comes out it'll be included. That'll absolutely be part of the media player release," Penello said.
It's Raining Indie Games for the Xbox One
Microsoft and Xbox One were criticised for not having enough independent games back when it was first released. But now, no one can say that the company isn't taking indie games seriously.
At Gamescom, Microsoft revealed quite the list of indie games coming with its ID@Xbox program. The following list isn't exactly an exclusive list, as the Xbox Wire did say that the games in the ID@Xbox are "coming first to console on Xbox One," which means a timed exclusivity at best. But there are some meaty titles included:
- Love in a Dangerous Spacetime: One of the most talked about indies where you'll be co-piloting a battleship while fighting robots and exploring space.
- Plague Inc: Evolved: Battling with another Plague is the main theme in this strategic game where your main enemy adapts to what you hurl at it.
- Threes!; TheGame from Sirvo that had spawned a number of clones including the addictive 2048 is now coming to the Xbox One alongside its charming characters.
- No Time to Explain: One thing to remember is that you'll be dealing with time travel, guns and enemy crabs.
- Gunscape: From Blowfish Studios, you have an first-person shooter and construction kit in one, where you have map and a toolbox of weapons, all yours for combining and building for a creative gameplay experience.
Read more gaming and tech news:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Melanoma Could Be Caused By Ageing Genes; Best Diet For Anti-Ageing; Celebrities Who Have Aged Gracefully
Join the Conversation
- More ‘FIFA 15’ Issues Found in Companion App And Luis Suarez Ban; A PS4 Physical Disc Bundle Spotted
- Get Invite Codes to Ello the Social Networking Site That Is Viral On the Internet
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby And Alpha Sapphire’ Demo Distribution Method For Australia Revealed, More Info Coming
- ‘Assassin’s Creed Unity’ And ‘Rogue’: New Trailer Shows Off Customisation As Rogue PC Version Gets Spotted In UPlay
- 'Super Smash Bros' For Nintendo 3DS XL Can Hamper Gaming Experience Due To More Resistant Circle Pad
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate