Sharp Aquos Crystal May Overtake Samsung, LG in True Bezel-Free Smartphone Battle with Sprint Announcement
By Gel Galang | August 19, 2014 10:52 AM EST
For the longest time, Samsung and LG have been competing in several facets of their respective smartphones, but in terms of delivering the first bezel-free device, the two South Korean companies may have been already overtaken.
A shopper standing on an escalator rides past advertisements for Sharp Corp.'s Aquos television at an electronics shop in Tokyo August 1, 2014. Japan's Sharp Corp posted a 55 percent increase in operating profit for the April-June quarter, beating its own guidance to break even. The company reported strong demand for its LCD panels and a lighter-than-expected impact from a hike in consumption taxes in Japan.
Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare Debuts on PS4, New DLC Brings Vampires and Origin Offers Free Trial
Battlefield Hardline vs. Titanfall: New Multiplayer, Car Chases Showcased and a Third DLC Pack Detailed
Sharp has recently announced what could potentially be the world's thinnest Bezel on an Android smartphone. It seems almost like one of those concept designs for smartphones that many fans have been dreaming of for the likes of the iPhone or Samsung Galaxy S series.
Now, the title of thinnest bezels on a phone goes to Sharp, as the 5.5-inch and 5-inch smartphones sport majority of the front of its device with pure display and just a sliver of bezels, reports Android Headlines.
Still, what sets apart Aquos Crystal and Crystal X, the two smartphones released by Sharp, is that the make of the smartphones showcase the thin bezels in a beautiful design, potentially opening up the frame-less market once more to future smartphone battles.
Aquos Crystal and Crystal X Already Out in Japan
And while the Aquos Crystal is heading to the U.S., Japan is already enjoying the two smartphones released by Sharp. According to GSM Arena, the Crystal X, said to be the more premium of the two devices, features a 2.3GHz processor with Snapdragon 801 chipset, a 5.5-inch 1080p display, 2GB of RAM, 32GB of storage, 2610mAh battery with very thin bezels and a very small body size.
The Sharp Aquos Crystal, on the other hand, is smaller, sporting a 5-inch 720p display, 1.2GHz processor with Snapdragon 400 quad-core chipset, 1.5GB of RAM, 8GB of storage, 2040mAh battery and Android 4.4.2 Kitkat OS.
There's already a Japanese ad showing off the Aquos Crystal, as seen below, as well as press screenshots in the link above.
Aquos Crystal Bound for the U.S. via Sprint
Japan is not the only territory that will be enjoying the frame-less offerings the Aquos Crystal and Crystal X, as Sprint is also expected to officially announce its position as carrier of the Aquos Crystal at its New York event, reports Android Central.
Considering that the running theme involves "taking the edge off," it certainly does sound that the bezel-free Aquos Crystal may be taking the stage. The Crystal X device does seem more premium than the Aquos Crystal, but the specs for the smaller smartphone coupled with the frame-less body does provide a good option in the smartphone offerings.
Read more gaming and tech news:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Sims 4' First Expansion Pack To Roll Out Tomorrow With Halloween Theme Via Teaser Images
- The Pirate Bay Contains Malicious Advertisements: Using TPB Can Infect Your Computer With Malware
- Get Invite Codes to Ello the Social Networking Site That Is Viral On the Internet
- Windows Insider Program: How to Get Windows 10 the Next Generation Operating System
- ‘Destiny’ New DLC For PlayStation And Xbox: Future Missions, Strikes And Raids Revealed
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build