Sharp Aquos Crystal May Overtake Samsung, LG in True Bezel-Free Smartphone Battle with Sprint Announcement
By Gel Galang | August 19, 2014 10:52 AM EST
For the longest time, Samsung and LG have been competing in several facets of their respective smartphones, but in terms of delivering the first bezel-free device, the two South Korean companies may have been already overtaken.
A shopper standing on an escalator rides past advertisements for Sharp Corp.'s Aquos television at an electronics shop in Tokyo August 1, 2014. Japan's Sharp Corp posted a 55 percent increase in operating profit for the April-June quarter, beating its own guidance to break even. The company reported strong demand for its LCD panels and a lighter-than-expected impact from a hike in consumption taxes in Japan.
Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare Debuts on PS4, New DLC Brings Vampires and Origin Offers Free Trial
Battlefield Hardline vs. Titanfall: New Multiplayer, Car Chases Showcased and a Third DLC Pack Detailed
Sharp has recently announced what could potentially be the world's thinnest Bezel on an Android smartphone. It seems almost like one of those concept designs for smartphones that many fans have been dreaming of for the likes of the iPhone or Samsung Galaxy S series.
Now, the title of thinnest bezels on a phone goes to Sharp, as the 5.5-inch and 5-inch smartphones sport majority of the front of its device with pure display and just a sliver of bezels, reports Android Headlines.
Still, what sets apart Aquos Crystal and Crystal X, the two smartphones released by Sharp, is that the make of the smartphones showcase the thin bezels in a beautiful design, potentially opening up the frame-less market once more to future smartphone battles.
Aquos Crystal and Crystal X Already Out in Japan
And while the Aquos Crystal is heading to the U.S., Japan is already enjoying the two smartphones released by Sharp. According to GSM Arena, the Crystal X, said to be the more premium of the two devices, features a 2.3GHz processor with Snapdragon 801 chipset, a 5.5-inch 1080p display, 2GB of RAM, 32GB of storage, 2610mAh battery with very thin bezels and a very small body size.
The Sharp Aquos Crystal, on the other hand, is smaller, sporting a 5-inch 720p display, 1.2GHz processor with Snapdragon 400 quad-core chipset, 1.5GB of RAM, 8GB of storage, 2040mAh battery and Android 4.4.2 Kitkat OS.
There's already a Japanese ad showing off the Aquos Crystal, as seen below, as well as press screenshots in the link above.
Aquos Crystal Bound for the U.S. via Sprint
Japan is not the only territory that will be enjoying the frame-less offerings the Aquos Crystal and Crystal X, as Sprint is also expected to officially announce its position as carrier of the Aquos Crystal at its New York event, reports Android Central.
Considering that the running theme involves "taking the edge off," it certainly does sound that the bezel-free Aquos Crystal may be taking the stage. The Crystal X device does seem more premium than the Aquos Crystal, but the specs for the smaller smartphone coupled with the frame-less body does provide a good option in the smartphone offerings.
Read more gaming and tech news:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'Destiny' Third Subclass Weapon Upgrades: Super And Grenade Modifications Leaked [Video]
- 'The Sims 4' Official Mac Release: More Features Aside From Pools Expected To Be Included
- 'World Of Warcraft' ‘The Iron Tide' 6.0.2 Patch Hotfixes Update Including Character Undelete, Class Balancing And New Bug Fixes
- Motorola Nexus 6 vs. Sony Xperia Z3: Features On New Nexus To Match Latest Sony Phone
- Motorola Nexus 6 v HTC One M8, One M7: Reasons How New Nexus Can Match HTC Flagship Phones
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia