Alien Mystery Solved: NASA Reveals the Truth About the Strange Figure Recorded on the Moon (Watch Video)
By Sarah Thomas | August 19, 2014 9:14 AM EST
A few weeks back, a paranormal researcher by the user name WowForReeel on YouTube posted a mysterious video of an alien figure spotted on the surface of the moon. He observed the presence of the figure while looking through Google Moon, which is Google's map of the moon. The video immediately went viral with two million views in just two months.
People stand and look at the moon one day ahead of the Supermoon phenomenon from a bridge over 42nd St. in the Manhattan borough of New York July 11, 2014. Occurring when a full moon or new moon coincides with the closest approach the moon makes to the Earth, the Supermoon results in a larger-than-usual appearance of the lunar disk.
He wrote in his description, "Looks like it could be a cast shadow from a massive standing object, or figure." He also stated that it was unique and unusual to capture something like this in that area. Some of the viewers believed it to be an alien, while others were skeptical.
NASA unravelled the mystery behind the strange figure. They announced that the figure was formed by "dust, an eyelash or scratch on the negative" of the film that captured the image.
Noah Petro, a deputy project scientist for the Lunar Renaissance Orbiter (LROC) mission that is currently orbiting the moon, told Pix11 that the image was captured by either the Apollo 15 or 17 manned missions to the moon in 1971 and 1972 respectively. "Remember, this was in the pre-digital days when all sorts of nasty things could happen to film," he added.
Petro also stated that there was no possibility of it being a figure on the moon; it could be something in the film that created the figure, he said. Petro referred to a psychological phenomenon called Pareidolia which is an illusion that makes one create an image out of vague or random stimuli.
WowForReeel in his YouTube description explained that after observing the shape for a while he confirmed that there really was something in the crater, but he admitted that he had no clue as to what the figure was. The position of the figure on Google Moon is at 27°34'26.35″N 19°36'4.75″W.
According to website Tech and Gadget News, the shape looked like the leading edge of an immense, triangular space ship, but they stated that it was much larger than any air-plane ever built on Earth.
"To date, no other feature has ever been discovered which matches this shape on the moon, or any other planet observed by satellite or exploratory rover," the website stated.
WowForReeel claims to have spotted mysterious figures such as this, in the past as well. He said that he had witnessed similar sightings under the ice in Antarctica. "It is also a triangular shape, measuring 125 by 90 metres," he wrote.
While the possible reasons for this appearance of the figure was thought to be due to the trick of the light, which have caused people to see abnormal figures in the past as well. But NASA clearly stated that the figure is not an alien and is merely a trick of the mind.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Alien Mystery: The Most Famous Unexplained Alien Abduction Cases (Watch Video)
- Bardarbunga Volcano In Iceland Erupts With Brightly Coloured Lava Under Northern Lights [Watch Video]
- University of Waterloo U Study Recommends Best Sex Positions To Ease Back Pain During Lovemaking
- West Seattle Man Accuses Stranger Obese Woman Of Rape While He Was Asleep
- Lady Gaga Wants David Bowie To Perform With Her In Space
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet