Penang Nude Sports Game 2014 in Malaysia Incites Anger Among Muslims (VIDEOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | August 19, 2014 8:57 AM EST
More than two months after the controversial sports event was held, the Penang Nude Sports Game 2014 continues to generate anger in the predominantly Muslim nation of Malaysia.
On Monday, the organisers of the May 30 event held at the Teluk Bahang national park surrendered to authorities. Southwest Police Chief Superintendent Lai Fag Hin said those who surrendered are Chew Tok Hwa, a 57-year-old retired teacher, 24-year-old Justin Ang Ji keng and and 27-year-old Carmen Chan.
People react as riders take part in the World Naked Bike Ride in Mexico City June 14, 2014. The event aims to defend the right of cyclists to ride on the streets in safety, according to organisers. REUTERS/Tomas Bravo (MEXICO - Tags: SOCIETY SPORT CYCLING TPX IMAGES OF THE DAY)
They surrendered after they read the news that the video of the nude sports event became viral in Malaysia. In YouTube, the same video posted below, has almost 190,000 hits in 1 week.
They would be brought to the Balik Pulau Magistrate's court on Tuesday for remanding.
Eight other people are implicated in the games, but their location are unknown. They are Thomas Kong and Janice and James Kumar from Malaysia, Albert Yam and Lionel and Terry Lau from Singapore, a Newman from Myanmar and Marvin Cuevas from the Philippines.
Besides their participation in the Penang nude games, nine of the suspects also joined another clothes-less event at a durian orchard in Bukit Genting, Balik Pulau on May 31 and June 1 and took part in several naturist gatherings in Pattaya, Thailand.
Sections 294a and 509 of Malaysia's Penal Code lists public nudity as an offence and prescribes a jail term of three months for violators.
The video showed the game participants joining body painting sessions, relay race and group catwalk. Here's a peek at what happened in this video clip.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan