Premier League: 'Never Give Up' Mentality Won the Game for Arsenal, Says Wenger
By Mark Wayne Eubank | August 19, 2014 2:55 AM EST
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger claims that his squad's never-give-up mentality won them the game against Crystal Palace during their opening match in the Premier League.
The Gunners came from behind to clinch a 2-1 victory after Eagles centre-back Brede Hangeland drew first-blood with a header from a Jason Puncheon cross on the 35th minute.
Arsenal's manager Arsene Wenger reacts during their English Premier League soccer match against Crystal Palace at the Emirates stadium in London August 16, 2014.
The next two goals came from Laurent Koscielny and Aaron Ramsey during added time of each of the halves.
Koscielny guided the ball past Julian Speroni with his version of a header, while Ramsey calmly placed the ball at the back of the net from point-blank range after securing the rebound from a Mathieu Debuchy attempt.
"Technically the performance could have been better but the attitude and the not-give-up attitude was fantastic," Wenger told Arsenal.com.
"In the end it got us through."
The French mentor revealed that there is still much to be improved in spite of coming out with a fairly good showing, especially with his summer acquisitions.
"There was some misunderstanding in our passing but overall I felt at the back Debuchy and Chambers played very well, they were really controlled. [Alexis] had good spells but he has to improve the understanding with his partners. The three of them have been very satisfying."
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS