Cleveland Cavaliers Confident Ray Allen Will Join LeBron James
By Justin Noel Cudaihl | August 18, 2014 11:01 PM EST
The Cleveland Cavaliers are having an excellent 2014 offseason so far but they aren’t quite done with the signings yet after confirming that they are still interested in getting Ray Allen and confident that they will land the veteran shooter by training camp.
Jun 5, 2014; San Antonio, TX, USA; San Antonio Spurs forward Tim Duncan (21) defends in the first half against Miami Heat guard Ray Allen (34) in game one of the 2014 NBA Finals at AT&T Center.
Marc J. Spears of Yahoo Sports tweeted the update.
The Cavs are also optimistic about their chances of signing free agent guard Ray Allen prior to the start of training camp, a source said.
— Marc J. Spears (@SpearsNBAYahoo) August 17, 2014
Allen was rumored to immediately follow LeBron James to Cleveland earlier in the offseason but the veteran has yet to make his decision. Meantime, the Cavaliers already addressed some of their depth weaknesses by acquiring Mike Miller, James Jones and just recently, Shawn Marion.
The new acquisitions will join a crew of James, Kyrie Irving and Kevin Love, who is expected to land with the team after a trade with the Minnesota Timberwolves not earlier than Aug. 23. The Cavaliers will give up young prospects Andrew Wiggins, Anthony Bennett and a future first round pick.
Allen won an NBA title with LeBron James in 2013 and was also part of the 2014 team which lost in the championship round against the San Antonio Spurs.
Allen is considered as one of the best shooters in the history of the league. In the 2013-2014 NBA season, he averaged 9.6 points on 37.5 percent 3-point shooting. While already 39-years-old, Allen is still pegged as one of the most feared shooters in the NBA as he is known to hit clutch shots especially in the offseason.
Allen’s inclusion to the already loaded wing-rotation of the Cavaliers will only add to the hype of Cleveland as one of teams to beat in the upcoming season. Allen will most likely back-up the shooting guard spot currently held by third-year man Dion Waiters, who will benefit from having a mentor with a similar game as him.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch