Cleveland Cavaliers Confident Ray Allen Will Join LeBron James
By Justin Noel Cudaihl | August 18, 2014 11:01 PM EST
The Cleveland Cavaliers are having an excellent 2014 offseason so far but they aren’t quite done with the signings yet after confirming that they are still interested in getting Ray Allen and confident that they will land the veteran shooter by training camp.
Jun 5, 2014; San Antonio, TX, USA; San Antonio Spurs forward Tim Duncan (21) defends in the first half against Miami Heat guard Ray Allen (34) in game one of the 2014 NBA Finals at AT&T Center.
Marc J. Spears of Yahoo Sports tweeted the update.
The Cavs are also optimistic about their chances of signing free agent guard Ray Allen prior to the start of training camp, a source said.
— Marc J. Spears (@SpearsNBAYahoo) August 17, 2014
Allen was rumored to immediately follow LeBron James to Cleveland earlier in the offseason but the veteran has yet to make his decision. Meantime, the Cavaliers already addressed some of their depth weaknesses by acquiring Mike Miller, James Jones and just recently, Shawn Marion.
The new acquisitions will join a crew of James, Kyrie Irving and Kevin Love, who is expected to land with the team after a trade with the Minnesota Timberwolves not earlier than Aug. 23. The Cavaliers will give up young prospects Andrew Wiggins, Anthony Bennett and a future first round pick.
Allen won an NBA title with LeBron James in 2013 and was also part of the 2014 team which lost in the championship round against the San Antonio Spurs.
Allen is considered as one of the best shooters in the history of the league. In the 2013-2014 NBA season, he averaged 9.6 points on 37.5 percent 3-point shooting. While already 39-years-old, Allen is still pegged as one of the most feared shooters in the NBA as he is known to hit clutch shots especially in the offseason.
Allen’s inclusion to the already loaded wing-rotation of the Cavaliers will only add to the hype of Cleveland as one of teams to beat in the upcoming season. Allen will most likely back-up the shooting guard spot currently held by third-year man Dion Waiters, who will benefit from having a mentor with a similar game as him.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MMA News: Transgender Fighter Fallon Fox Challenges Ronda Rousey, Fires Back on ‘Ignorant’ Comments
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Points Out Amir Khan's Poor Boxing Record
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?