Ruud Gullit Blasts Van Gaal for Employing Wrong Tactics Following Man Utd Loss
By Mark Wayne Eubank | August 18, 2014 4:39 PM EST
Ruud Gullit had some strong words for his compatriot Louis van Gaal, after the latter failed to steer Manchester United to victory during the Premier League's opening weekend.
Manchester United's manager Louis van Gaal leaves the pitch following their English Premier League soccer match defeat against Swansea City at Old Trafford in Manchester, northern England August 16, 2014.
The former Chelsea and Newcastle United manager was critical of the tactics being employed by the 63-year-old, citing that such won't work in England's top-flight.
"Fellow Dutchman Van Gaal has a big job. The Premier League is different. You can see during the game the United players were thinking about where they had to be," Gullit told BBC Sport.
Van Gaal opted to adapt the 3-5-2 that he often used during his stint witth the Dutch national team, but instead of coming up with a positive result, disaster ensued.
The Red Devils suffered a narrow 2-1 defeat in the hands of the Garry Monk-led Swansea City, whose quality of players were not even close to that of United's.
"When he played 3-5-2 for Netherlands it was necessity because we had bad defenders," he added.
"He played 4-3-3 at Ajax, Barcelona and Bayern Munich, but always played attacking football."
"It was a surprise he played 3-5-2 to start with against Swansea, but then he changed it. If you were a Swansea player would you have been afraid of that line-up?"
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Chelsea FC: Thibaut Courtois Thanks Cech For Tips Following Injury Scare, Not Ready To Relinquish No. 1 Spot
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia
- Severe iPhone 6 Supply Shortage Will Last Until Q1 2015 as Apple Grapples to Meet Heavy Demand