Australian BASE Jumper Killed in French Alps
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | August 18, 2014 4:39 PM EST
An Australian BASE jumper was killed in the French Alps on Sunday. Within hours, a French BASE jumper was killed in the south-eastern part of France.
The separate accidents took place in the French Alps. Four people from extreme sports have now been killed in France in August itself. The Australian, who was killed after falling from the 2,600-metre Brevent peak in the Haute-Savoie, was 33 years old. According to rescue workers, the lifeless body of the Aussie man was found "several hundred metres below in a wooded area". It was also suggested that he had probably been killed on impact.
Clouds are pictured early morning on the Matterhorn mountain in the ski resort of Zermatt in the Swiss Alps August 4, 2014.
The other man, who was killed within a couple of hours of the previous incident, was a Frenchman. He was reportedly killed after he had hit a rock face on his way down from Mont Granier. The man, recognised as an "extremely experienced" person related to BASE jumping, was 52 years old. He was discovered 200 metres under the ledge he had jumped from. According to one of the rescuers, the experienced campaigner could not get over the second rock face even though he had earlier managed to do so for the first one.
For some strange reasons, these accidents add up to four deaths related to extreme sports in August itself. The other two deaths in the month also took place in the French Alps region. A couple of BASE jumpers, one from France and the other from Switzerland were killed similarly on Aug 6 in the French Pyrenees and the Alps.
There has been a strong speculation in the French media that the reason behind the Australian man's death was "steering problem." Investigation has been launched in both the cases. According to studies, BASE jumping poses greater risks than other extreme sports like skydiving. Four deaths in the same region within a couple of weeks may be alarming for several extreme sports enthusiasts.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Female Boxer Dies In South Africa Following Knockout Blow
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2
- Canada’s Official ISIS Mission Starts On Weekend; Kuwait Uneasy