Australian BASE Jumper Killed in French Alps
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | August 18, 2014 4:39 PM EST
An Australian BASE jumper was killed in the French Alps on Sunday. Within hours, a French BASE jumper was killed in the south-eastern part of France.
The separate accidents took place in the French Alps. Four people from extreme sports have now been killed in France in August itself. The Australian, who was killed after falling from the 2,600-metre Brevent peak in the Haute-Savoie, was 33 years old. According to rescue workers, the lifeless body of the Aussie man was found "several hundred metres below in a wooded area". It was also suggested that he had probably been killed on impact.
Clouds are pictured early morning on the Matterhorn mountain in the ski resort of Zermatt in the Swiss Alps August 4, 2014.
The other man, who was killed within a couple of hours of the previous incident, was a Frenchman. He was reportedly killed after he had hit a rock face on his way down from Mont Granier. The man, recognised as an "extremely experienced" person related to BASE jumping, was 52 years old. He was discovered 200 metres under the ledge he had jumped from. According to one of the rescuers, the experienced campaigner could not get over the second rock face even though he had earlier managed to do so for the first one.
For some strange reasons, these accidents add up to four deaths related to extreme sports in August itself. The other two deaths in the month also took place in the French Alps region. A couple of BASE jumpers, one from France and the other from Switzerland were killed similarly on Aug 6 in the French Pyrenees and the Alps.
There has been a strong speculation in the French media that the reason behind the Australian man's death was "steering problem." Investigation has been launched in both the cases. According to studies, BASE jumping poses greater risks than other extreme sports like skydiving. Four deaths in the same region within a couple of weeks may be alarming for several extreme sports enthusiasts.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet