Serena Williams on Winning Cincinnati Title: ‘For Me, There is No Better Feeling’
By Rachelle Corpuz | August 18, 2014 4:24 PM EST
Serena Williams won her first-ever Cincinnati Masters title on Aug. 17 after beating Serbia's Ana Ivanovic. Williams defeated Ivanovic in straight sets, 6-1, 6-2, in barely over an hour at the Lindner Family Tennis Center in Mason, Ohio.
Serena Williams of the U.S. competes in a women's singles match against Garbine Muguruza of Spain at the French Open tennis tournament at the Roland Garros stadium in Paris May 28, 2014.
Serena has played in the Western & Southern Open six times already, but she was denied a trophy in all her appearances. The farthest Serena has reached in the tournament was in 2013 and 2014, when she made it to the finals. The year 2014 must have brought good luck charms for the American athlete because she finally snatched the title.
Serena was happy with her victory. "I love this moment," said the top-ranked female tennis athlete via the tournament's official website. "I love holding up the trophy and I love doing the work that it takes to hold a trophy," Serena added.
"For me, there is no better feeling."
Serena also took to Twitter to thank her supporters.
Thanks everyone for all the support this week! It was a great week for me. I love u all!
— Serena Williams (@serenawilliams) August 17, 2014
Thanks Cincy... Had a blast now we are running to the open! @pmouratoglou http://t.co/bMz03wpnIQ — Serena Williams (@serenawilliams) August 17, 2014
During the match, Serena fired 12 aces to Ivanovic's one and converted four of seven break points. Serena now has won five titles in 2014, including the Brisbane International, Miami Open, Italian Open, and Bank of the West Classic. She has claimed $2,714,208 prize winnings from the tournaments she has played so far. Just in Cincinnati alone, Serena claimed $467,300 cash prize and 900 ranking points.
Ana, on the other hand, handled her loss very well. She acknowledged Serena's dominance in the match and said that the American played "solid."
"Not only on her serve, but on the groundstrokes I felt like she was dominating," Ana said. She added that she knew she just wasn't able to even equalize her chances of winning. "I did have chance, especially when we started the rallies, but I just couldn't get the serve back." Ana took home prize money worth $227,000 and 585 ranking points.
Watch Serena Williams vs. Ana Ivanovic Cincinnati finale highlights below.
Video courtesy: YouTube/MrPieritoTennis
MORE ARTICLES TO READ:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate