Women Arrested for Smuggling £1.5 Million Worth of Cocaine in Breast Implants
By Indrani Bhattacharyya | August 18, 2014 4:09 PM EST
Addiction makes people do strange things and with involvement of money, things often tend to get worse.
This time it was a woman from Venezuela who got arrested over the charge of carrying cocaine with her. But the mean she opted for to carry the cocaine raised interest across the world. She reportedly hid 1.7kg of cocaine within her breast implants.
Plastic surgeon Denis Boucq poses at his office in a clinic in Nice December 16, 2011, holding a defective silicone gel breast implant, which was removed from a patient and manufactured by French company PIP.
She was arrested at Madrid airport on her arrival from Colombia.
According to the report by the Guardian, police said on Friday that during passenger check of a flight from Bogotá, the unusual gestures and behaviour of this lady aroused suspicion amongst narcotic agents.
That was followed by a thorough baggage search, which revealed nothing. After this, female officials made her go through a body search and discovered that this 43-year-old woman had "certain irregularities and deformations in both breasts".
At that point, the woman in question became extremly nervous and eventually confessed to the truth, that she was carrying implants with cocaine inside," police said.
After her confession, she was taken to a hospital for removal of the breast implants. The implants were found to contain 1.7kg (3.75lb) of cocaine.
Even though it was a rare occurrence, previous reports suggest that there had been instances where Spanish police witnessed drug smugglers using breast implants to deceive police force.
A woman from Panama on arrival in Barcelona from Bogotá was found with 1.4kg of cocaine in her fake breasts in December 2012. It was observed that those recent insertion wounds caused her heavy bleeding under bandages.
Other techniques for drug smuggling have included the use of wigs, mixed into a cast put on a leg, and shaped and hardened into crockery.
Spain has a special police unit that checks so-called hot flights from the main drug-trafficking countries, and so far, for 2014, in Madrid airport alone, the squad seized about 500kg of cocaine and 6kg of heroin, followed by arrests of 189 people.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Spreads Through Red Cross Vaccine - Ghana Nurse ‘Testifies’; The Truth About Red Cross
- Ebola News Regarding Wortham's Kindergarterners Infected is False, Angry Reactions
- Ebola Outbreak Blamed on Infected Bushmeat; First Family to Catch Virus Hunted Bats
- Ebola Is Changing The Religious Landscape In West Africa
- Ebola Outbreak To Continue Until Effective Vaccine Surfaces; 120,000 Women To Die of Childbirth
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch