Women Arrested for Smuggling £1.5 Million Worth of Cocaine in Breast Implants
By Indrani Bhattacharyya | August 18, 2014 4:09 PM EST
Addiction makes people do strange things and with involvement of money, things often tend to get worse.
This time it was a woman from Venezuela who got arrested over the charge of carrying cocaine with her. But the mean she opted for to carry the cocaine raised interest across the world. She reportedly hid 1.7kg of cocaine within her breast implants.
Plastic surgeon Denis Boucq poses at his office in a clinic in Nice December 16, 2011, holding a defective silicone gel breast implant, which was removed from a patient and manufactured by French company PIP.
She was arrested at Madrid airport on her arrival from Colombia.
According to the report by the Guardian, police said on Friday that during passenger check of a flight from Bogotá, the unusual gestures and behaviour of this lady aroused suspicion amongst narcotic agents.
That was followed by a thorough baggage search, which revealed nothing. After this, female officials made her go through a body search and discovered that this 43-year-old woman had "certain irregularities and deformations in both breasts".
At that point, the woman in question became extremly nervous and eventually confessed to the truth, that she was carrying implants with cocaine inside," police said.
After her confession, she was taken to a hospital for removal of the breast implants. The implants were found to contain 1.7kg (3.75lb) of cocaine.
Even though it was a rare occurrence, previous reports suggest that there had been instances where Spanish police witnessed drug smugglers using breast implants to deceive police force.
A woman from Panama on arrival in Barcelona from Bogotá was found with 1.4kg of cocaine in her fake breasts in December 2012. It was observed that those recent insertion wounds caused her heavy bleeding under bandages.
Other techniques for drug smuggling have included the use of wigs, mixed into a cast put on a leg, and shaped and hardened into crockery.
Spain has a special police unit that checks so-called hot flights from the main drug-trafficking countries, and so far, for 2014, in Madrid airport alone, the squad seized about 500kg of cocaine and 6kg of heroin, followed by arrests of 189 people.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Sugar Is The Major Cause Of Obesity: Top 5 Ways To Reduce Your Sugar Intake
- Ebola Survivors' Blood Sold in Black Market, WHO Warns Buyers of Risks Including Death
- Jennifer Lopez's Diet and Fitness Secrets Revealed: Ways by Which She Keeps Her Lower Body Toned
- Hip Hop Mogul Russell Simmons Says In New Book That Meditation and Yoga Can Make You Rich
- Kids Whose Parents Went To College Eat Healthier, Study Finds
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Unofficial ‘Samsung Galaxy Alpha’ Can Now Be Purchased For $700 In The US
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Sony Xperia E3 vs. Moto G (2014) – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown