Women Arrested for Smuggling £1.5 Million Worth of Cocaine in Breast Implants
By Indrani Bhattacharyya | August 18, 2014 4:09 PM EST
Addiction makes people do strange things and with involvement of money, things often tend to get worse.
This time it was a woman from Venezuela who got arrested over the charge of carrying cocaine with her. But the mean she opted for to carry the cocaine raised interest across the world. She reportedly hid 1.7kg of cocaine within her breast implants.
Plastic surgeon Denis Boucq poses at his office in a clinic in Nice December 16, 2011, holding a defective silicone gel breast implant, which was removed from a patient and manufactured by French company PIP.
She was arrested at Madrid airport on her arrival from Colombia.
According to the report by the Guardian, police said on Friday that during passenger check of a flight from Bogotá, the unusual gestures and behaviour of this lady aroused suspicion amongst narcotic agents.
That was followed by a thorough baggage search, which revealed nothing. After this, female officials made her go through a body search and discovered that this 43-year-old woman had "certain irregularities and deformations in both breasts".
At that point, the woman in question became extremly nervous and eventually confessed to the truth, that she was carrying implants with cocaine inside," police said.
After her confession, she was taken to a hospital for removal of the breast implants. The implants were found to contain 1.7kg (3.75lb) of cocaine.
Even though it was a rare occurrence, previous reports suggest that there had been instances where Spanish police witnessed drug smugglers using breast implants to deceive police force.
A woman from Panama on arrival in Barcelona from Bogotá was found with 1.4kg of cocaine in her fake breasts in December 2012. It was observed that those recent insertion wounds caused her heavy bleeding under bandages.
Other techniques for drug smuggling have included the use of wigs, mixed into a cast put on a leg, and shaped and hardened into crockery.
Spain has a special police unit that checks so-called hot flights from the main drug-trafficking countries, and so far, for 2014, in Madrid airport alone, the squad seized about 500kg of cocaine and 6kg of heroin, followed by arrests of 189 people.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Bill Gates Believes Ebola Could Spread Outside West Africa, Warns Countries Should Strengthen Healthcare
- Sex In The City Actress Kim Cattrall Embraces Menopause
- A Baby Shot In The Head Due To Hunting Accident In Pennsylvania; Chances of Blindness
- Australia's Response to Ebola Crisis 'Lethally Inadequate'
- 5 Myths About The Gluten-Free Diet Every Fad Fanatic Should Know
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Samsung Aware Of Gap Issue On Galaxy Note 4, Mentions It As Important Manufacturing Feature In Note 4 User Manual
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks