Australia's Road Fatality Rate Falls, A Look at Paul Walker's Road Accident
By Afza Fathima | August 18, 2014 3:58 PM EST
In the last 12 months, Australia's fatality rate in cases of road accidents have fallen to less than five deaths for every 100,000 people. But the mortality rate for drivers over the age of 65 has hiked up by 13 per cent and cyclists are also facing danger, noted the federal government.
U.S. actor Paul Walker presents a creation from Colcci's 2013/2014 summer collection during Sao Paulo Fashion Week in this March 21, 2013 file photo.
Statistics from the Bureau of Infrastructure, Transport and Regional Economics, show that there has been 9 per cent reduction in fatality rates in road accidents.
In the last five years, road fatality has fallen by 13 per cent and 38 per cent in Victoria and the ACT, respectively. The death rate of young adults between the ages of 17 and 25 have been nearly halved to 48 per cent. From the beginning of 2014 until July, 1,157 people died in road accidents.
On Aug 18, Jamie Briggs, the assistant infrastructure minister, said that the death on roads is a tragedy for families, friends, local communities as well as the broader Australian economy.
Paul Walker's Road Accident
On Nov 30, 2013, the 2005 Porsche Carrera GT in which Paul Walker, the Fast and Furious star, was traveling crashed, killing him and his friend due to traumatic injuries. An investigation by the law enforcement agencies showed that the car was travelling at about 90 mph. His friend, Roger Rodas, was behind the wheel.
The car drove into a light pole which had a speed limit sign of 45 mph, half of the speed of which the car was actually travelling.
The investigation reports stated that the crash was caused due to unsafe driving and not mechanical problems.
On Aug 14, an eighteen-year old, James Brooks Witty, was sentenced to six months prison term as he was accused of stealing parts of the Porsche where Paul Walker and his friend passed away.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- MRI Footage Shows What Sex And Other Activities Looks Like From The Inside[Watch Video]
- Joe Manganiello Fitness Secret: Low Carb Paleo Diet and CrossFit Workout
- Ebola Virus Outbreak Origin Traced To Bats – Report
- Demi Lovato Battled Bulimia and Negative Body Image: Turns into Role Model For Many; Her Diet and Fitness Routine
- Beyonce Reveals Snaps Of Naked Baby Bump While She Was Expecting Blue Ivy; How She Lost Her Pregnancy Weight [Watch Video]
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Purported Xiaomi Redmi Note Successor Powered With Monstrous Processor Under Wraps, Will Take On Meizu MX4
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed