Scientifically Proven Ways To Stay Happy
By Afza Fathima | August 18, 2014 3:41 PM EST
"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions."- Dalai Lama
A lot of research showed us how to stay happy. Listed below are some of scientifically proven ways to lead a happy life.
Australia has some of the finest Holiday Parks
1. Planning a vacation
Planning a vacation from work can help one stay happy. It is not necessary to take a holiday but planning is enough to boost one's happiness. According to a study in the journal, "Applied Research in Quality of Life", happiness was at its highest while planning a vacation as the sense of anticipation is enjoyed by the people.
2. Exercising for 7 minutes
The 7 minute workout in The New York Times can have an effect on our happiness. Not just this particular workout, but any form of exercise can result in happiness and it is also a strategy for overcoming depression. A study mentioned in the book, "The Happiness Advantage", showed results that patients who were treating depression with medication or exercise are experiencing improvements in the levels of their happiness. The one's who exercised showed a better rate of staying happy more than medication.
3. More sleep
Sleeping is important for happiness as the negative emotions get thrown out. A study that tested employees' moods showed that early mood has an effect on how they feel for the rest of the day.
Sleeping does not help only to lead a healthy life, but also a happy one.
4. More smile
Smiling can help improve mood, reduce pain and bring in positive thoughts. A study by a business scholar from Michigan State University showed that smiling cultivates positive thoughts and improves mood.
Practicing genuine smiles is important to help improve performance on cognitive tasks. It increases our attention flexibility and also help reduce pain in certain circumstances.
5. Eating nuts
A research by the University of Barcelona showed that having a handful of nuts help raise one's mood and also helps improve cardiovascular health. It is also advisable to have daily a handful of raw walnuts, almonds and hazelnuts.
6. Drinking water
It was found that people having about 2.5 litres of water a day showed greater satisfaction than those who did not. Even a slight dehydration can help ruin one's mood, increase fatigue and create confusion.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MRI Footage Shows What Sex And Other Activities Looks Like From The Inside[Watch Video]
- Joe Manganiello Fitness Secret: Low Carb Paleo Diet and CrossFit Workout
- Demi Lovato Battled Bulimia and Negative Body Image: Turns into Role Model For Many; Her Diet and Fitness Routine
- Beyonce Reveals Snaps Of Naked Baby Bump While She Was Expecting Blue Ivy; How She Lost Her Pregnancy Weight [Watch Video]
- Ebola Response Team Killed In Cold Blood By Angry Guinea Locales
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?