Scientifically Proven Ways To Stay Happy
By Afza Fathima | August 18, 2014 3:41 PM EST
"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions."- Dalai Lama
A lot of research showed us how to stay happy. Listed below are some of scientifically proven ways to lead a happy life.
Australia has some of the finest Holiday Parks
1. Planning a vacation
Planning a vacation from work can help one stay happy. It is not necessary to take a holiday but planning is enough to boost one's happiness. According to a study in the journal, "Applied Research in Quality of Life", happiness was at its highest while planning a vacation as the sense of anticipation is enjoyed by the people.
2. Exercising for 7 minutes
The 7 minute workout in The New York Times can have an effect on our happiness. Not just this particular workout, but any form of exercise can result in happiness and it is also a strategy for overcoming depression. A study mentioned in the book, "The Happiness Advantage", showed results that patients who were treating depression with medication or exercise are experiencing improvements in the levels of their happiness. The one's who exercised showed a better rate of staying happy more than medication.
3. More sleep
Sleeping is important for happiness as the negative emotions get thrown out. A study that tested employees' moods showed that early mood has an effect on how they feel for the rest of the day.
Sleeping does not help only to lead a healthy life, but also a happy one.
4. More smile
Smiling can help improve mood, reduce pain and bring in positive thoughts. A study by a business scholar from Michigan State University showed that smiling cultivates positive thoughts and improves mood.
Practicing genuine smiles is important to help improve performance on cognitive tasks. It increases our attention flexibility and also help reduce pain in certain circumstances.
5. Eating nuts
A research by the University of Barcelona showed that having a handful of nuts help raise one's mood and also helps improve cardiovascular health. It is also advisable to have daily a handful of raw walnuts, almonds and hazelnuts.
6. Drinking water
It was found that people having about 2.5 litres of water a day showed greater satisfaction than those who did not. Even a slight dehydration can help ruin one's mood, increase fatigue and create confusion.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Sex Change Surgery Gets Enhanced Cover From US Insurance Firms: Obama Regime's Policy Change Became The Trigger
- Chilling: Ebola Spreads Through Sneeze and Cough Droplets And Toilet Seats
- Red Cross Aussie Nurse Says Australia’s Ebola Visa Ban Is Embarrassing
- New Zealand Develops New Drug To Fight 'Superbugs'
- Australia Does Not Have Ebola Drug ZMapp And That Is Alright, Experts Say
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles