Scientifically Proven Ways To Stay Happy
By Afza Fathima | August 18, 2014 3:41 PM EST
"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions."- Dalai Lama
A lot of research showed us how to stay happy. Listed below are some of scientifically proven ways to lead a happy life.
Australia has some of the finest Holiday Parks
1. Planning a vacation
Planning a vacation from work can help one stay happy. It is not necessary to take a holiday but planning is enough to boost one's happiness. According to a study in the journal, "Applied Research in Quality of Life", happiness was at its highest while planning a vacation as the sense of anticipation is enjoyed by the people.
2. Exercising for 7 minutes
The 7 minute workout in The New York Times can have an effect on our happiness. Not just this particular workout, but any form of exercise can result in happiness and it is also a strategy for overcoming depression. A study mentioned in the book, "The Happiness Advantage", showed results that patients who were treating depression with medication or exercise are experiencing improvements in the levels of their happiness. The one's who exercised showed a better rate of staying happy more than medication.
3. More sleep
Sleeping is important for happiness as the negative emotions get thrown out. A study that tested employees' moods showed that early mood has an effect on how they feel for the rest of the day.
Sleeping does not help only to lead a healthy life, but also a happy one.
4. More smile
Smiling can help improve mood, reduce pain and bring in positive thoughts. A study by a business scholar from Michigan State University showed that smiling cultivates positive thoughts and improves mood.
Practicing genuine smiles is important to help improve performance on cognitive tasks. It increases our attention flexibility and also help reduce pain in certain circumstances.
5. Eating nuts
A research by the University of Barcelona showed that having a handful of nuts help raise one's mood and also helps improve cardiovascular health. It is also advisable to have daily a handful of raw walnuts, almonds and hazelnuts.
6. Drinking water
It was found that people having about 2.5 litres of water a day showed greater satisfaction than those who did not. Even a slight dehydration can help ruin one's mood, increase fatigue and create confusion.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Back To Herself After Struggling With Hyperemesis Gravidarum
- Ebola Vaccine: Johnson & Johnson Confident Of Human Trials In January And Market Delivery in May Next Year
- 12 Terrifyingly Healthy Halloween Treats
- New York Doctor Tests Positive For Ebola
- ‘Death Sentence’ For 50,000 Australians With The Refusal Of Costly Hep C Treatment
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28