MH17 Becomes A Murder Case w/ Many Victims; Bishop’s Phone Compromised in Crash Site Negotiations
By Athena Yenko | August 18, 2014 3:20 PM EST
The Netherlands is treating the downing of Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 as the biggest criminal investigation ever to be tried in the country. The case is becoming more and more complicated as Australia's Foreign Minister Julie Bishop's phone found to be compromised while making negotiations for Australia to access the crash site.
An Australian national flag and a New South Wales state flag (top) fly at half-mast atop the Sydney Harbour Bridge on July 19, 2014, as a sign of respect for those killed in the Malaysia Airlines passenger jetliner MH17 that crashed over eastern Ukraine. Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott blamed Russia on Friday for the shooting down of MH17, killing all 298 people on board, including 28 Australians. Abbott appeared to go further than other Western leaders in apportioning blame over the crash, demanding that Moscow answer questions about the "Russian-backed rebels" that he said were behind the disaster.
Passengers from 10 different countries were aboard the downed MH17, hence, it became the largest, most complicated, criminal investigation that the Netherlands' will be handling, Wim de Bruin from the Dutch prosecution service told press.
"Never before have we had a murder case with so many victims," he said.
Currently, there were already ten Dutch prosecutors and 200 police officers involved in amassing probable evidence for a criminal trial to proceed. Even if the officials are only at the preliminary stage of the investigation, officials are definite about their plans. The suspects will be extradited to face trial at the District Court in The Hague - this despite the challenge of having the country, where the suspects will be extradited from, to cooperate.
De Bruin further said that its government are considering several grounds and possibilities to convict all perpetrators. The perpetrators can be charged with murder and wrecking an airplane according to their laws while they can also be charged with war crimes like torture and genocide, he underlined.
Meanwhile, the involvement of Australia in the investigation and accessing of the crash site of the down MH17 took a more complicated turn.
During Bishop's two-week trip to negotiate access to the crash site, she made calls as she travelled to Ukraine, the Netherlands and the U.S.
Coming back to Australia, her phone was immediately sequestered by intelligence officials as they found that her calls were accessed.
Prime Minister Tony Abbott confirmed the report and said that some countries did "target the phones of significant members of the Australian Government". He however assured people that all official calls are made over secure lines.
"It's the sort of thing that does happen from time to time. But I can assure the Australian people that the very significant discussions that Julie Bishop was part of with me and with other members of the National Security Committee in recent times were all done over secure lines," Mr Abbott told press.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced
- 'The Hunger Games Mockingjay – Part 1' Banned, Protesters Use Three-fingered Salute In Real Life
- Travel Alert: Malaysia’s AirAsia Cuts Number Of Australian Flights
- Air Canada Expands Vancouver Boeing 787 Dreamliners To Beijing, Seoul, Shanghai, Tokyo-Narita Routes
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports