Xbox One News: September Update Preview and Future Features Revealed
By Gel Galang | August 18, 2014 11:55 AM EST
After revealing at Gamescom that there would be more features to come to the Xbox One, Major Nelson has taken it to the Xbox Wire to reveal a couple of features that will be coming to the entertainment and social aspect of its next-gen console.
An attendee uses her smartphone in front of a giant Microsoft Xbox sign at the 2014 Electronic Entertainment Expo, known as E3, in Los Angeles, California June 11, 2014.
The September Xbox One System Update as well as future updates, which will be rolling out sometime in the coming months, will contain quite the list of new features. Some of these have been unspecified or unannounced during Gamescom, as Microsoft only stated that it will be adding more for the Xbox One's media section.
The new features that preview members can test out soon include the following:
- Parties: A reorganized Party App now lets you see what everyone in your party is doing and who is playing in the same game as you. It also allows for quicker execution of actions, and even lets a Party Leader organize a party by requiring invitations or removing people from the group.
- New Friends Section: There will be more features, such as letting you see at a glance your friends' activities, the Gamerscore leaderboard changes, and even the most popular games among your friends.
- Media Player: A new app is slated for this particular feature, which will let you play media files either via a USB or a network connected home media server with DLNA protocols. The good thing here is that it's an improvement over the Xbox 360 in terms of file formats supported.
- Xbox One Digital TV tuner: Released first in a limited preview program in parts of Europe, this hardware accessory will be available for retail launch in October.
- Stream TV to SmartGlass: This will be an extension of the Xbox One Digital TV Tuner, which will let you stream TV content across your mobile devices and control it separately from the gameplay on the Xbox One.
- Live TV Miniguide: For those who have OneGuide, a mini guide will appear at the bottom of the screen to show the details of the shows on the channel.
- SmartGlass Update: A lot will be added to the SmartGlass feature, which includes updates on Activity Feed, Messages, recordings for the Now Playing bar, and an upcoming What's New page for highlights.
- Multiple GameDVR Deletes: You can choose more GameDVR clips to delete at the same time via the Upload app.
- Save your Avatar Gamerpic: You can do so to your OneDrive as a new option.
- Bandwidth Usage Display: You can now know how much bandwidth is used on your Xbox One.
According to Tech Times, the latest system update is already rolling out to those who are preview members. Other Xbox One owners will get a test of the changes and updates in the coming months, though again, no particular date has been set.
Read more gaming and tech news:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Nokia Lumia 635: Microsoft Drops AT&T Smartphone's Price For 2014 Black Friday Sale
- Google’s Mobile Search To Lessen Stress Of Black Friday Shopping
- ‘Destiny’ Dev Holds Own Black Friday 2014 Sale As More The Dark Below Details Get Revealed
- Apple’s Black Friday Sale Versus Other Retailers
- ‘GTA V' Title Update 1.04, Black Friday Sale And Heists DLC Release In December Possible
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast