Xbox One News: September Update Preview and Future Features Revealed
By Gel Galang | August 18, 2014 11:55 AM EST
After revealing at Gamescom that there would be more features to come to the Xbox One, Major Nelson has taken it to the Xbox Wire to reveal a couple of features that will be coming to the entertainment and social aspect of its next-gen console.
An attendee uses her smartphone in front of a giant Microsoft Xbox sign at the 2014 Electronic Entertainment Expo, known as E3, in Los Angeles, California June 11, 2014.
The September Xbox One System Update as well as future updates, which will be rolling out sometime in the coming months, will contain quite the list of new features. Some of these have been unspecified or unannounced during Gamescom, as Microsoft only stated that it will be adding more for the Xbox One's media section.
The new features that preview members can test out soon include the following:
- Parties: A reorganized Party App now lets you see what everyone in your party is doing and who is playing in the same game as you. It also allows for quicker execution of actions, and even lets a Party Leader organize a party by requiring invitations or removing people from the group.
- New Friends Section: There will be more features, such as letting you see at a glance your friends' activities, the Gamerscore leaderboard changes, and even the most popular games among your friends.
- Media Player: A new app is slated for this particular feature, which will let you play media files either via a USB or a network connected home media server with DLNA protocols. The good thing here is that it's an improvement over the Xbox 360 in terms of file formats supported.
- Xbox One Digital TV tuner: Released first in a limited preview program in parts of Europe, this hardware accessory will be available for retail launch in October.
- Stream TV to SmartGlass: This will be an extension of the Xbox One Digital TV Tuner, which will let you stream TV content across your mobile devices and control it separately from the gameplay on the Xbox One.
- Live TV Miniguide: For those who have OneGuide, a mini guide will appear at the bottom of the screen to show the details of the shows on the channel.
- SmartGlass Update: A lot will be added to the SmartGlass feature, which includes updates on Activity Feed, Messages, recordings for the Now Playing bar, and an upcoming What's New page for highlights.
- Multiple GameDVR Deletes: You can choose more GameDVR clips to delete at the same time via the Upload app.
- Save your Avatar Gamerpic: You can do so to your OneDrive as a new option.
- Bandwidth Usage Display: You can now know how much bandwidth is used on your Xbox One.
According to Tech Times, the latest system update is already rolling out to those who are preview members. Other Xbox One owners will get a test of the changes and updates in the coming months, though again, no particular date has been set.
Read more gaming and tech news:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Halo: Master Chief’ Collection Update Detailed As ‘Halo: Nightfall’ Continues To Roll
- ‘Destiny’ Dev Details Update; New Exotic Weapons Coming And New Speculations On Free Trial
- Official Android 5.0 Lollipop Update For HTC One Google Play Editions Delayed Due To New Software Request
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire’ Guide: Continuous Breeding, Must See Places And TwitchPlays Pokemon Activity
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 New Update Brings Performance And Stability Improvements
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide