Disney Channel to Air 'Aladdin' in Honour of Late Actor Robin Williams Who Lent Voice For Genie
By nidhi tewari | August 18, 2014 8:46 AM EST
In a bid to honour late actor Robin Williams, Disney channel is planning to air its 1992 animated film "Aladdin," where the actor lent his voice to its character Genie. The animated film will be shown across several Disney Channels Worldwide-owned networks starting Saturday. Additionally, the channel also paid a tribute to the late actor by making a black and white picture of Genie.
Robin Williams gestures during a panel discussion for his upcoming HBO show "Robin Williams: Weapons of Self-Destruction" at the Television Critics Association Cable summer press tour in Pasadena, July 30, 2009.
Robert Iger, the chairman and CEO of Walt Disney, also released a statement about William and called him a "wonderfully gifted man" and a "comic genius." Calling him a "Disney legend," Robert accepted him as a "beloved member" of the Disney family.
"We're deeply saddened by the loss of Robin Williams, a wonderfully gifted man who touched our hearts and never failed to make us laugh," said Igner about Robin, who reportedly committed suicide by hanging himself on August 11.
"An incredible actor and a comedic genius, Robin will always be remembered for bringing some of the world's favorite characters to life, from his zany alien on ABC's Mork & Mindy to the irascible genie in Disney's Aladdin," said the CEO further of the actor who was 63 when he died at his home in Tiburon. Robin's wife Susan Schneider said that her late husband was in the early stages of Parkinson's disease when he died.
"He was a true Disney Legend, a beloved member of our family, and he will be sorely missed. We join Robin's friends and fans everywhere in mourning, and offer our thoughts and condolences to his family during this difficult time," added Igner.
"Aladdin" will be shown on television on Saturday, August 16 on Disney Channel and on Disney XD the next day. The movie will also be aired on Disney Junior will air the film on Sunday and Monday.
For more details of the timings and schedule of "Aladdin" broadcasts, read the following details released by Disney Channel.
Saturday, August 16: 9:00 A.M. and 6:30 P.M. on Disney Channel
Sunday, August 17: 11 A.M. and 7:30 P.M. on Disney XD
Sunday, August 17: 6 P.M. on Disney Junior
Monday, August 18: 11 A.M. on Disney Junior
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- "Game of Thrones" Season 5 Spoilers -- Arya Stark’s New Costume, Mace Tyrell And Tycho Spotted On The Sets
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Sept. 19, 2014: Hope Needs To Decide If She Will Stay With Wyatt Or Go With Liam [WATCH VIDEO]
- The Pirate Bay Founder Peter Sunde’s Freedom: Hollywood People Oppose TPB Founder’s Imprisonment
- 'Dancing With The Stars' (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Week 2 Spoilers: Things To Expect; Find Out Which Choreographer Is Quitting
- 'Downton Abbey' Spoilers: 'Surprising New Stories' In Season 5, George Clooney's Cameo Appearance
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Unofficial ‘Samsung Galaxy Alpha’ Can Now Be Purchased For $700 In The US
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Sony Xperia E3 vs. Moto G (2014) – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown