Disney Channel to Air 'Aladdin' in Honour of Late Actor Robin Williams Who Lent Voice For Genie
By nidhi tewari | August 18, 2014 8:46 AM EST
In a bid to honour late actor Robin Williams, Disney channel is planning to air its 1992 animated film "Aladdin," where the actor lent his voice to its character Genie. The animated film will be shown across several Disney Channels Worldwide-owned networks starting Saturday. Additionally, the channel also paid a tribute to the late actor by making a black and white picture of Genie.
Robin Williams gestures during a panel discussion for his upcoming HBO show "Robin Williams: Weapons of Self-Destruction" at the Television Critics Association Cable summer press tour in Pasadena, July 30, 2009.
Robert Iger, the chairman and CEO of Walt Disney, also released a statement about William and called him a "wonderfully gifted man" and a "comic genius." Calling him a "Disney legend," Robert accepted him as a "beloved member" of the Disney family.
"We're deeply saddened by the loss of Robin Williams, a wonderfully gifted man who touched our hearts and never failed to make us laugh," said Igner about Robin, who reportedly committed suicide by hanging himself on August 11.
"An incredible actor and a comedic genius, Robin will always be remembered for bringing some of the world's favorite characters to life, from his zany alien on ABC's Mork & Mindy to the irascible genie in Disney's Aladdin," said the CEO further of the actor who was 63 when he died at his home in Tiburon. Robin's wife Susan Schneider said that her late husband was in the early stages of Parkinson's disease when he died.
"He was a true Disney Legend, a beloved member of our family, and he will be sorely missed. We join Robin's friends and fans everywhere in mourning, and offer our thoughts and condolences to his family during this difficult time," added Igner.
"Aladdin" will be shown on television on Saturday, August 16 on Disney Channel and on Disney XD the next day. The movie will also be aired on Disney Junior will air the film on Sunday and Monday.
For more details of the timings and schedule of "Aladdin" broadcasts, read the following details released by Disney Channel.
Saturday, August 16: 9:00 A.M. and 6:30 P.M. on Disney Channel
Sunday, August 17: 11 A.M. and 7:30 P.M. on Disney XD
Sunday, August 17: 6 P.M. on Disney Junior
Monday, August 18: 11 A.M. on Disney Junior
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 2 Major Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Strangers’
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Grand Final Sing-Off: Marlisa Punzalan, Dean Ray and Brothers 3 [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’: Blake And Louise Tell The True Story
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Promo, Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘Four Walls And A Roof’
- ‘Days Of Our Lives’ (DOOL) Oct. 20-24 Spoilers: An ‘Unexpected Visitor’ Changes Everything For Sami Plus Updates On Salemites
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage