WNBA Star Brittney Griner Engaged to Glory Johnson Months After Coming Out as Gay
By Justin Noel Cudaihl | August 18, 2014 5:31 AM EST
Women’s National Basketball Association (WNBA) players Brittney Griner and Glory Johnson are tying the knot after making their announcement via Instagram over the weekend.
“Last Night was a Night to Remember I became the happiest person on this earth! (almost pass out but when that one word came out I came back to life) Me and my baby @missvol25 are in it for Life!” Griner posted on the social media platform.
Griner came out publicly as gay in April 2013 before she joined the top women’s basketball league in the United States.
"It really wasn't too difficult. I wouldn't say I was hiding or anything like that. I've always been open about who I am and my sexuality. So, it wasn't hard at all. If I can show that I'm out and I'm fine and everything's OK, then hopefully the younger generation will definitely feel the same way," ," Griner said to Sports Illustrated at that time.
Both Griner and Johnson are considered superstars in the WNBA. The 23-year-old Griner averages 15.4 points, 7.8 rebounds and 3.9 blocked shots per game for the Phoenix Mercury while the 24-year-old Johnson logs in 15.0 points and 9.5 rebounds for the Tulsa Shock in the 2014 season.
Griner is a two-time WNBA All-Star being named as part of the league’s elite in 2013 and 2014 and a one-time NCAA champion (2012) with Baylor University in college. Meanwhile, Johnson is a one-time WNBA All-Star (2014) and former All-American, SEC Defensive Player of the Year during her playing days with University of Tennessee.
Griner's and Johnson's teams are on the opposite ends of the WNBA team standings. Phoenix is atop the Western Conference with 28 wins against 5 losses while Tulsa has only 12 wins versus 22 losses. The Mercury are on their way to the postseason while the Shock are already eliminated.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28