WNBA Star Brittney Griner Engaged to Glory Johnson Months After Coming Out as Gay
By Justin Noel Cudaihl | August 18, 2014 5:31 AM EST
Women’s National Basketball Association (WNBA) players Brittney Griner and Glory Johnson are tying the knot after making their announcement via Instagram over the weekend.
“Last Night was a Night to Remember I became the happiest person on this earth! (almost pass out but when that one word came out I came back to life) Me and my baby @missvol25 are in it for Life!” Griner posted on the social media platform.
Griner came out publicly as gay in April 2013 before she joined the top women’s basketball league in the United States.
"It really wasn't too difficult. I wouldn't say I was hiding or anything like that. I've always been open about who I am and my sexuality. So, it wasn't hard at all. If I can show that I'm out and I'm fine and everything's OK, then hopefully the younger generation will definitely feel the same way," ," Griner said to Sports Illustrated at that time.
Both Griner and Johnson are considered superstars in the WNBA. The 23-year-old Griner averages 15.4 points, 7.8 rebounds and 3.9 blocked shots per game for the Phoenix Mercury while the 24-year-old Johnson logs in 15.0 points and 9.5 rebounds for the Tulsa Shock in the 2014 season.
Griner is a two-time WNBA All-Star being named as part of the league’s elite in 2013 and 2014 and a one-time NCAA champion (2012) with Baylor University in college. Meanwhile, Johnson is a one-time WNBA All-Star (2014) and former All-American, SEC Defensive Player of the Year during her playing days with University of Tennessee.
Griner's and Johnson's teams are on the opposite ends of the WNBA team standings. Phoenix is atop the Western Conference with 28 wins against 5 losses while Tulsa has only 12 wins versus 22 losses. The Mercury are on their way to the postseason while the Shock are already eliminated.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- MMA News: Transgender Fighter Fallon Fox Challenges Ronda Rousey, Fires Back on ‘Ignorant’ Comments
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Points Out Amir Khan's Poor Boxing Record
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- Khloe Kardashian Reportedly Having A Hard Time Deciding Whether Or Not To Patch Things Up With Lamar Odom
- WWE News: CM Punk Merchandise Pulled From Stands, Punk Chasing Royalties For WWE 2K15 Inclusion [VIDEO]
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Purported Xiaomi Redmi Note Successor Powered With Monstrous Processor Under Wraps, Will Take On Meizu MX4