5 Types of Food You Should Never Eat Before An Important Event
By Vanessa Doctor | August 18, 2014 1:52 AM EST
On ordinary days, you can enjoy eating almost anything without getting worried that your stomach might suddenly get upset. However, when preparing for big events, it is better to stay away from certain types of food. You might not be aware that some of the usual foods you eat have unexpected effects that can alter your performance.
A customer looks at bananas in a supermarket in Sydney April 27, 2011
1. Food that causes bad breath
When preparing to give a speech, going for an interview or meeting your in-laws, it is best to stay away from pungent and aromatic food. These types of food usually contain high levels of sulfur and other elements that make your breath foul for hours. Avoid eating onions, garlic, shallots and curry to avoid leaving a bad impression.
2. Sleep-inducing food
Some food have high amounts of tryptophan like turkey and banana. This can make you feel drowsy and lower mental alertness, which will not be advantageous when you are getting ready for big exam or going for an interview. Jasmine rice is another type of food that will make people feel sleepy.
3. Fatty food
Although foods high in fat and sugar give you instant energy, when the effects subside, you will experience a crash in terms of mental focus and alertness. The fat also tends to emit a certain odor, making you smell like what you just ate. It will not be helpful to feel sleep during an important interview or report.
4. Gassy food
Broccoli, curry, beans and other Mexican food tend to cause flatulence. You will pass gas several hours after you consume these so it is best to have them after the big event.
5. Watery sources
Although you need to stay hydrated, it is not advised to drink a lot of water or soup before important events, especially when you cannot excuse yourself to go to the bathroom in between. Having too much water in your system also makes you feel bloated and sluggish. Instead, take small sips of water while giving a speech or during an important date.
Read more about the usual foods you eat and determine if these have high levels of fat, tryptophan and other agents that cause unwanted effects.
Join the Conversation
- MRI Footage Shows What Sex And Other Activities Looks Like From The Inside[Watch Video]
- Joe Manganiello Fitness Secret: Low Carb Paleo Diet and CrossFit Workout
- Demi Lovato Battled Bulimia and Negative Body Image: Turns into Role Model For Many; Her Diet and Fitness Routine
- Ebola Virus Outbreak Origin Traced To Bats – Report
- Beyonce Reveals Snaps Of Naked Baby Bump While She Was Expecting Blue Ivy; How She Lost Her Pregnancy Weight [Watch Video]
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Purported Xiaomi Redmi Note Successor Powered With Monstrous Processor Under Wraps, Will Take On Meizu MX4
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed