5 Types of Food You Should Never Eat Before An Important Event
By Vanessa Doctor | August 18, 2014 1:52 AM EST
On ordinary days, you can enjoy eating almost anything without getting worried that your stomach might suddenly get upset. However, when preparing for big events, it is better to stay away from certain types of food. You might not be aware that some of the usual foods you eat have unexpected effects that can alter your performance.
A customer looks at bananas in a supermarket in Sydney April 27, 2011
1. Food that causes bad breath
When preparing to give a speech, going for an interview or meeting your in-laws, it is best to stay away from pungent and aromatic food. These types of food usually contain high levels of sulfur and other elements that make your breath foul for hours. Avoid eating onions, garlic, shallots and curry to avoid leaving a bad impression.
2. Sleep-inducing food
Some food have high amounts of tryptophan like turkey and banana. This can make you feel drowsy and lower mental alertness, which will not be advantageous when you are getting ready for big exam or going for an interview. Jasmine rice is another type of food that will make people feel sleepy.
3. Fatty food
Although foods high in fat and sugar give you instant energy, when the effects subside, you will experience a crash in terms of mental focus and alertness. The fat also tends to emit a certain odor, making you smell like what you just ate. It will not be helpful to feel sleep during an important interview or report.
4. Gassy food
Broccoli, curry, beans and other Mexican food tend to cause flatulence. You will pass gas several hours after you consume these so it is best to have them after the big event.
5. Watery sources
Although you need to stay hydrated, it is not advised to drink a lot of water or soup before important events, especially when you cannot excuse yourself to go to the bathroom in between. Having too much water in your system also makes you feel bloated and sluggish. Instead, take small sips of water while giving a speech or during an important date.
Read more about the usual foods you eat and determine if these have high levels of fat, tryptophan and other agents that cause unwanted effects.
Join the Conversation
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS War: US Airstrikes Lead to Growing ISIS Support In Syria; Russia Questions Coalition's Policies
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]