2014 Cincinnati Open Final: Roger Federer vs. David Ferrer Live Streaming Info and Preview
By James Patrick Quizon | August 18, 2014 1:01 AM EST
Roger Federer keeps on driving home the point that retirement is still far from his plans making the championship round of the 2014 Western & Southern Open in Mason, Ohio. The former world number one will be facing David Ferrer of Spain in the final early Monday morning (Australia time).
Aug 16, 2014; Cincinnati, OH, USA; Roger Federer (SUI) serves against Milos Raonic (not pictured) on day six of the Western and Southern Open tennis tournament at Linder Family Tennis Center.
This is the third consecutive finals appearance for Federer in the ATP tour after reaching the championship round at the Wimbledon Championships and the Rogers Cup. Although the Swiss Maestro has lost both finals matches—first, to rival Novak Djokovic in London and the Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in Toronto-- Federer has also dominated Ferrer in their career meetings; in 15 head-to-head matches, the Swiss has won over the Spaniard 15 times since their first meeting 11 years ago.
"It's great for the confidence to switch from clay to grass to hard courts and keep on playing well. I've had a very complete season so far," the 33-year-old Federer said via the ATP official website. "This is my eighth final of the season. I hope I can win another final here."
Aside from the personal supremacy over Ferrer, Federer has also shown excellent form in the ATP tournament in Cincinnati with five titles (2005, 2007, 2009, 2010 and 2012) in the past nine years—a record in this event.
Meanwhile, the 32-year-old Ferrer is excited for his first finals experience in Cincy after 11 tries.
"Of course I am in a good moment," the Spaniard, who is ranked 6th in the world, also via ATP. "I am in my first final this year in a Masters 1000, so I'm happy for that. (I take it) step by step and focus for tomorrow."
The most recent meeting between the two happened earlier in August in Toronto where Federer won in three sets, 6-3, 4-6, 6-3 in the quarterfinals.
Federer vs. Ferrer - Last 5 matches
Federer def. Ferrer, 6-3, 4-6, 6-3 (2014 ATP World Tour Masters Toronto quarterfinals)
Federer def. Ferrer, 6-4, 7-6 (5) (2012 ATP World Tour Finals round-robin)
Federer def. Ferrer, 6-4, 6-4 (2012 ATP World Tour Masters Madrid quarterfinals)
Federer def. Ferrer, 7-5, 6-3 (2011 ATP World Tour Finals semifinals)
Federer def. Ferrer, 6-1, 6-4 (2010 ATP World Tour Finals round robin)
How dominant has Federer been against Ferrer? In 35 sets played, the Spaniard has only been able to take four sets off the Swiss!
However, Ferrer wants to go all the way to the title in just his third championship round appearance in 2014. Ferrer won the Copa Claro title in Buenos Aires, Argentina in February and lost the bet-at-home Open in Hamburg, Germany in July.
How They Got to the Western & Southern Open Final:
First Round - bye
Round of 32 - def. Philipp Kohlschreiber (Germany), 6-7 (4), 7-6 (4), 7-6 (4)
Round of 16 - def. Mikhail Youzny (Russia), 7-5, 6-0
Quarterfinals - def. Tommy Robredo (Spain), 6-4, 3-6, 6-3
Semifinals – def. Julian Benneteau (France), 6-3, 6-2
First round - bye
Round of 32 - def. Vasek Pospisil (Canada), 7-6 (4), 5-7, 6-2
Round of 16 - def. Gael Monfils (France), 6-4, 4-6, 6-3
Quarterfinals - def. Andy Murray (Great Britain), 6-3, 7-5
Semifinals - def. Milos Raonic (Canada), 6-3, 6-3
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions