‘Doctor Who’ Companion Jenna Coleman Quits as Clara Oswald – Report
By Anne Lu | August 18, 2014 12:18 AM EST
“Doctor Who” star Jenna Coleman has reportedly quit as the Doctor’s companion. The hit BBC series is said to be now looking for her replacement to star alongside the 12th Doctor, Peter Capaldi.
According to the Daily Mirror, the 28-year-old actress will be leaving the show after 18 months of playing Clara Oswald. Her last appearance will be in a Christmas storyline.
“The conversations about Jenna’s exit have started, and a plan is in place which is being ironed out,” a source told the paper.
“By the time she leaves she will be one of the longest-standing companions ever. She has been absolutely brilliant in the role, but everyone agrees it is a part that should change after a period.”
It was said to be a “mutual decision.”
“It’s important to keep the series moving and fast-paced, and the time is just starting to feel right and the feeling is that it could be a perfect Christmas storyline.”
Coleman officially began playing Clara in the Christmas special episode in 2012. However, she made a surprise appearance a few months before that. It was revealed in a later episode the mystery surrounding her character.
She recently compared 11th Doctor Matt Smith and Capaldi, who takes over the role when the new season begins this August.
“I always thought Matt was so young-looking, but had this older, wiser quality about him, whereas Peter is almost the opposite,” she told the Independent. “Somehow he has this energy that is younger. Visually, obviously, it is very different.”
Smith, being only 27 when he debuted as the Time Lord in 2010, is the youngest actor to play the titular role. Capaldi, 56, is the oldest.
Coleman also revealed that although there were reports that a few famous names were in the running to become the 12th Doctor, showrunners Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss only had Capaldi in mind.
“They told me and Matt together,” she said, referring to Capaldi being the one and only choice. “I don’t think even Peter had any idea that he was the only person who’d read for the part.”
The eighth season of the British sci-fi series, starring Capaldi as the Doctor and Coleman as his companion, will premiere on August 23 on BBC One.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7, Episode 7 Spoilers: Gemma’s World Starts To Crumble in ‘Greensleeves’ [VIDEO]
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Plot Update: Sexy Scenes Revealed, Jamie Dornan Kisses Dakota Johnson In Reshoot
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia
- Severe iPhone 6 Supply Shortage Will Last Until Q1 2015 as Apple Grapples to Meet Heavy Demand