‘Doctor Who’ Companion Jenna Coleman Quits as Clara Oswald – Report
By Anne Lu | August 18, 2014 12:18 AM EST
“Doctor Who” star Jenna Coleman has reportedly quit as the Doctor’s companion. The hit BBC series is said to be now looking for her replacement to star alongside the 12th Doctor, Peter Capaldi.
According to the Daily Mirror, the 28-year-old actress will be leaving the show after 18 months of playing Clara Oswald. Her last appearance will be in a Christmas storyline.
“The conversations about Jenna’s exit have started, and a plan is in place which is being ironed out,” a source told the paper.
“By the time she leaves she will be one of the longest-standing companions ever. She has been absolutely brilliant in the role, but everyone agrees it is a part that should change after a period.”
It was said to be a “mutual decision.”
“It’s important to keep the series moving and fast-paced, and the time is just starting to feel right and the feeling is that it could be a perfect Christmas storyline.”
Coleman officially began playing Clara in the Christmas special episode in 2012. However, she made a surprise appearance a few months before that. It was revealed in a later episode the mystery surrounding her character.
She recently compared 11th Doctor Matt Smith and Capaldi, who takes over the role when the new season begins this August.
“I always thought Matt was so young-looking, but had this older, wiser quality about him, whereas Peter is almost the opposite,” she told the Independent. “Somehow he has this energy that is younger. Visually, obviously, it is very different.”
Smith, being only 27 when he debuted as the Time Lord in 2010, is the youngest actor to play the titular role. Capaldi, 56, is the oldest.
Coleman also revealed that although there were reports that a few famous names were in the running to become the 12th Doctor, showrunners Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss only had Capaldi in mind.
“They told me and Matt together,” she said, referring to Capaldi being the one and only choice. “I don’t think even Peter had any idea that he was the only person who’d read for the part.”
The eighth season of the British sci-fi series, starring Capaldi as the Doctor and Coleman as his companion, will premiere on August 23 on BBC One.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- "Game of Thrones" Season 5 Spoilers -- Arya Stark’s New Costume, Mace Tyrell And Tycho Spotted On The Sets
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Sept. 19, 2014: Hope Needs To Decide If She Will Stay With Wyatt Or Go With Liam [WATCH VIDEO]
- The Pirate Bay Founder Peter Sunde’s Freedom: Hollywood People Oppose TPB Founder’s Imprisonment
- 'Dancing With The Stars' (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Week 2 Spoilers: Things To Expect; Find Out Which Choreographer Is Quitting
- 'Downton Abbey' Spoilers: 'Surprising New Stories' In Season 5, George Clooney's Cameo Appearance
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Unofficial ‘Samsung Galaxy Alpha’ Can Now Be Purchased For $700 In The US
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Sony Xperia E3 vs. Moto G (2014) – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown