‘Doctor Who’ Companion Jenna Coleman Quits as Clara Oswald – Report
By Anne Lu | August 18, 2014 12:18 AM EST
“Doctor Who” star Jenna Coleman has reportedly quit as the Doctor’s companion. The hit BBC series is said to be now looking for her replacement to star alongside the 12th Doctor, Peter Capaldi.
According to the Daily Mirror, the 28-year-old actress will be leaving the show after 18 months of playing Clara Oswald. Her last appearance will be in a Christmas storyline.
“The conversations about Jenna’s exit have started, and a plan is in place which is being ironed out,” a source told the paper.
“By the time she leaves she will be one of the longest-standing companions ever. She has been absolutely brilliant in the role, but everyone agrees it is a part that should change after a period.”
It was said to be a “mutual decision.”
“It’s important to keep the series moving and fast-paced, and the time is just starting to feel right and the feeling is that it could be a perfect Christmas storyline.”
Coleman officially began playing Clara in the Christmas special episode in 2012. However, she made a surprise appearance a few months before that. It was revealed in a later episode the mystery surrounding her character.
She recently compared 11th Doctor Matt Smith and Capaldi, who takes over the role when the new season begins this August.
“I always thought Matt was so young-looking, but had this older, wiser quality about him, whereas Peter is almost the opposite,” she told the Independent. “Somehow he has this energy that is younger. Visually, obviously, it is very different.”
Smith, being only 27 when he debuted as the Time Lord in 2010, is the youngest actor to play the titular role. Capaldi, 56, is the oldest.
Coleman also revealed that although there were reports that a few famous names were in the running to become the 12th Doctor, showrunners Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss only had Capaldi in mind.
“They told me and Matt together,” she said, referring to Capaldi being the one and only choice. “I don’t think even Peter had any idea that he was the only person who’d read for the part.”
The eighth season of the British sci-fi series, starring Capaldi as the Doctor and Coleman as his companion, will premiere on August 23 on BBC One.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Tom Cruise and Lindsay Lohan Not Likely Dating, Despite Reports
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 4 New Zealand Promo: Beth Greene’s Brave Side In 'Slabtown'
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2
- Canada’s Official ISIS Mission Starts On Weekend; Kuwait Uneasy