‘Doctor Who’ Companion Jenna Coleman Quits as Clara Oswald – Report
By Anne Lu | August 18, 2014 12:18 AM EST
“Doctor Who” star Jenna Coleman has reportedly quit as the Doctor’s companion. The hit BBC series is said to be now looking for her replacement to star alongside the 12th Doctor, Peter Capaldi.
According to the Daily Mirror, the 28-year-old actress will be leaving the show after 18 months of playing Clara Oswald. Her last appearance will be in a Christmas storyline.
“The conversations about Jenna’s exit have started, and a plan is in place which is being ironed out,” a source told the paper.
“By the time she leaves she will be one of the longest-standing companions ever. She has been absolutely brilliant in the role, but everyone agrees it is a part that should change after a period.”
It was said to be a “mutual decision.”
“It’s important to keep the series moving and fast-paced, and the time is just starting to feel right and the feeling is that it could be a perfect Christmas storyline.”
Coleman officially began playing Clara in the Christmas special episode in 2012. However, she made a surprise appearance a few months before that. It was revealed in a later episode the mystery surrounding her character.
She recently compared 11th Doctor Matt Smith and Capaldi, who takes over the role when the new season begins this August.
“I always thought Matt was so young-looking, but had this older, wiser quality about him, whereas Peter is almost the opposite,” she told the Independent. “Somehow he has this energy that is younger. Visually, obviously, it is very different.”
Smith, being only 27 when he debuted as the Time Lord in 2010, is the youngest actor to play the titular role. Capaldi, 56, is the oldest.
Coleman also revealed that although there were reports that a few famous names were in the running to become the 12th Doctor, showrunners Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss only had Capaldi in mind.
“They told me and Matt together,” she said, referring to Capaldi being the one and only choice. “I don’t think even Peter had any idea that he was the only person who’d read for the part.”
The eighth season of the British sci-fi series, starring Capaldi as the Doctor and Coleman as his companion, will premiere on August 23 on BBC One.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt Photographed Fighting Before ‘Unbroken’ Sydney Premiere – Report [VIDEO]
- 'NCIS Los Angeles' Season 6 Recap: Episode 9 'Traitor' Aired On Nov. 24, 2014, The Hunt For The ‘NCIS LA’ Mole Is Over [WATCH VIDEOS]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 26 Spoilers: Victoria Finds Who The Father Of Her Child Is And Jack And Phyllis Rekindle Romance
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season7, Episode 12 Spoilers: Thanksgiving Break, SAMCRO Returns In December [VIDEO]
- 'Glee' Season 6 Spoilers, Air Date: Naya Rivera Teases Wedding In Final Chapter, Lea Michele Tweets 700th Song Number
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS War: US Airstrikes Lead to Growing ISIS Support In Syria; Russia Questions Coalition's Policies
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]