Westboro Baptist Church to Picket Robin Williams Funeral in Protest of Gay Tolerance
By Vittorio Hernandez | August 17, 2014 9:15 PM EST
Because of Robin Williams' portrayal of a gay man in the film Birdcage, the fundamentalist Wesboro Baptist Church said it could picket the funeral of the comedian who is believed to have committed suicide on Monday due to depression.
Robin Williams gestures during a panel discussion for his upcoming HBO show "Robin Williams: Weapons of Self-Destruction" at the Television Critics Association Cable summer press tour in Pasadena, July 30, 2009.
The Telegraph reports that the church, notorious for its protest against homosexuality, announced its picket plan over Twitter on Saturday. In the past, the Kansas-based group for holding high-profile pickets ate military and other funerals by bannering picket signs that warn of eternal punishment for homosexuals, whether individuals or countries, that tolerate gays in any manner.
The church has described the funeral as a carcass worship fest. In the past, the Westboro Church has picketed the funeral of Michael Jackson, the Goo-Goo Dolls concert and upcoming events of Miranda Lambert which the group labeled an adulteress.
The tweet reads: "Westboro Baptist Church Hope To Preach In Lawful Proximity To Robin Williams' Funeral - The Warn The Living: Repent Or Likewise Perish."
In Birdcage, Williams played, a gay father, with Nathan Lane as his partner in the 1996 film.
But Planting Peace, a global non-profit group, has launched a fundraiser that aims to counter the Baptist Westboro Church's plan. Aaron Jackson, in a message, pointed out that beyond Williams' movie roles, the actor played many roles in other people's lives and gave back to others.
"His appeal crossed generational boundaries. I was personally impacted when I heard of his passing. This is a small gesture to honour his legacy and the difference he has made to so many," The Sydney Morning Herald quoted Jackson.
He said the fundraiser is the perfect way to honour the comedian and counter the hate and intolerance that Westboro plans with the picket. Jackson said the proceeds of the fundraiser would go to St Jude Children's Hospital that the star of Patch Adams supported.
Susan Schneider, the wife of Williams, is planning the funeral likely to be held in San Francisco. The option to televise the funeral was tackled and Schneider is expected to make a decision on the matter.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop