Manchester United Vs Swansea: Van Gaal To Play Reserves, United Hit By Injuries
By Mohammad Sohaib | August 17, 2014 12:38 PM EST
The rumour mill has been cranking into action since the fans of Manchester United expressed their desire for more transfers at the Old Trafford. However, the real deal starts today with Manchester United kicking off the Premier League season. The team is tipped for playing reserves against Swansea today. Injuries were an issue for Manchester United over the last season as well. However, it faces an even bigger task today with nine of its first team players unavailable for the match.
Ron Chenoy-USA TODAY Sports
Manchester United head coach Louis van Gaal welcomes forward Javier Chicharito Hernandez (14) onto the pitch in the second half against AS Roma at Sports Authority Field. Manchester United defeated AS Roma 3-2.
Manchester United boss Louis van Gaal will have to start his first season with fear as most of his key players won't be able to make the cut. Quite a few injuries have been major obstructions to the bad condition of the pitches at the US, where the International Champions Cup was played. The Reds have been able to win everything in the pre-season. Van Gaal said that he wanted to assess his team and make sure he knew the strengths and weaknesses of his players.
The fans at Old Trafford are not very happy with the way United went about their business in the transfer window. Apart from the transfers of Luke Shaw and Andy Herira, which were pointed out in the last season by David Moyes, nothing has come United's way. Paul Scholes had earlier put aside United's chances to win the title this season. He criticized the lack of transfers in the pre-season. Scholes, a Manchester United legend, was not pleased with the quality of players currently in the mix.
On the other hand, United manager Van Gaal was very confident about the prospects of a winning start. "I am very confident. Nine players injured and I am not nervous or worried. We have beaten all our opponents in pre-season, but today's game is the most important," he said, as reported by Express.
Luke Shaw, Antonio Valencia, Jonny Evans, Danny Welbeck Michael Carrick, Anderson, Nick Powell and reserve keeper Sam Johnstone are all injured, while Robin van Persie will still not be able to play after his return since recovering from injury.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions