Manchester United Vs Swansea: Van Gaal To Play Reserves, United Hit By Injuries
By Mohammad Sohaib | August 17, 2014 12:38 PM EST
The rumour mill has been cranking into action since the fans of Manchester United expressed their desire for more transfers at the Old Trafford. However, the real deal starts today with Manchester United kicking off the Premier League season. The team is tipped for playing reserves against Swansea today. Injuries were an issue for Manchester United over the last season as well. However, it faces an even bigger task today with nine of its first team players unavailable for the match.
Ron Chenoy-USA TODAY Sports
Manchester United head coach Louis van Gaal welcomes forward Javier Chicharito Hernandez (14) onto the pitch in the second half against AS Roma at Sports Authority Field. Manchester United defeated AS Roma 3-2.
Manchester United boss Louis van Gaal will have to start his first season with fear as most of his key players won't be able to make the cut. Quite a few injuries have been major obstructions to the bad condition of the pitches at the US, where the International Champions Cup was played. The Reds have been able to win everything in the pre-season. Van Gaal said that he wanted to assess his team and make sure he knew the strengths and weaknesses of his players.
The fans at Old Trafford are not very happy with the way United went about their business in the transfer window. Apart from the transfers of Luke Shaw and Andy Herira, which were pointed out in the last season by David Moyes, nothing has come United's way. Paul Scholes had earlier put aside United's chances to win the title this season. He criticized the lack of transfers in the pre-season. Scholes, a Manchester United legend, was not pleased with the quality of players currently in the mix.
On the other hand, United manager Van Gaal was very confident about the prospects of a winning start. "I am very confident. Nine players injured and I am not nervous or worried. We have beaten all our opponents in pre-season, but today's game is the most important," he said, as reported by Express.
Luke Shaw, Antonio Valencia, Jonny Evans, Danny Welbeck Michael Carrick, Anderson, Nick Powell and reserve keeper Sam Johnstone are all injured, while Robin van Persie will still not be able to play after his return since recovering from injury.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage