No Link Found Between Depression And Creativity
By Pooja Bhagat | August 17, 2014 12:27 PM EST
According to national depression initiative 'Beyond Blue' CEO Georgie Harman, there is no evidence to support the common belief that actors and comedians are more prone to depression than other people.
Williams committed to suicide at 63.He was reportedly suffering from depression.
"Personally, I've never come across any real evidence." Harman clarified. "It's probably no more common than in any other profession."
The recent tragic death of world famous actor and comedian Robin Williams, who committed suicide at the age of 63, triggered the assumption that actors, especially comedians, are more prone to depression.
Harman rejected the assumptions, which are gradually gaining confidence in people's mind. She also said that depression has nothing to do with a particular personality type. This condition is something that can affect anyone.
"It doesn't matter if you are someone who is a highly paid actor, comedian or sports star or you're a stay-at-home mum or dad, or if you work in the school canteen, we can all be just as vulnerable as the next person," Harman explained.
According to Harman, one in seven Australians experience depression at some point in their lives. Approximately three million Australians are currently suffering from this problem.
It is also a myth that depression is always the cause of suicide, albeit this condition is undoubtedly the major contributor. Only two of every three people who commit suicide are found to be depressed at the time they take their lives. Alcoholism also plays an important role in such cases.
Additionally, a family history of depression increases the probability of the person being affected by the same condition. However, this likelihood can be prevented by strong support system consisting of family and friends.
People who are most at risk of committing suicide are those suffering from depression, as well as those who have past history of suicide attempts, eating disorders and alcohol or drug addicts. According to a soon-to-be-published study by the University of Melbourne, proper and timely intervention reduced 37 per cent of suicide attempts in 2013.
Williams, the Oscar winning actor, was said to have shown risk factors, such as depression, alcohol abuse, failure in past relationships and financial distress. According to experts, timely and appropriate medical intervention might have saved the valuable life from tragic death.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- USA Defeats Lithuania, 96-68; Americans Advance To Championship Round Of 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Joan Rivers May Have Died From Propofol Like Michael Jackson
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy: Middleton's Morning Sickness Could Cause Risk Of Miscarriage[Watch Video]
- Prince Harry Turns 30 And Inherits $16 Million: Cancels Birthday Bash Due To Morning Sickness Of His Sister-in-Law Kate Middleton
- Ebola Update: Australian Aid Worker Appeals For More Field Hospitals, U.S. Steps Up Efforts To Fight Virus
- Whoopi Goldberg Lost 35 Pounds on Rocco DiSpirito’s 'Pound a Day' Diet: The Diet Gives Faster Results Than Liposuction
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone