Arsenal, Liverpool In Strong Pursuit Of Edinson Cavani
By Mohammad Sohaib | August 16, 2014 11:35 AM EST
Liverpool FC and Arsenal are in hot pursuit of Paris Saint-Germain's Edinson Cavani as leading forward at Anfield. Brendan Rogers has been conducting a vigorous search for a potent striker capable of filling the big void left by star striker Luis Suarez. The management at Anfield has been desperate to sign a striker to support Daniel Sturridge. However, a suitable replacement is yet to be found by the team.
Arsenal are willing to pay £55million for Paris Saint-Germain striker Edinson Cavani
Cavani has been a star performer for both PSG and Uruguay over the past years. The 27-year-old ranked 10th in The Guardian's list of top 100 footballers in 2012. However, rumour of his transfer has been the subject of Rogers' interest on the striker. Moreover, Arsenal has made an enquiry regarding Cavani's availability.
Arsene Wenger, however, said he would not be buying another forward in this transfer window. This statement is the same as that said by Louis van Gaal, who remained active despite claiming to have no more need for additional transfers. On the other hand, PSG has to sell one player to comply with UEFA's Financial Fair Play regulations.
Liverpool finished second in the 2013/14 season due to the great partnership of Daniel Sturridge and Luis Suarez. Both players scored almost every time they played together. While Sturridge remains at Anfield, Suarez has made a well-known move to Barcelona. Hence, Sturridge, the man who scored the most number of goals at the premier league last season, would no longer be playing for Liverpool.
Radamel Falcao was one of the potential transfer replacements for Liverpool. However, it has been an implied conclusion that if Falcao leaves Athletico Madrid, he will only be transferring to Real Madrid. This news appeared to have distressed the management at Anfield. Despite this information, however, Cavani might actually turn out to be the man most suitable for the team.
The enquiry about Cavani has been regarded as a confirmation of the desperate hunt for a striker at Anfield. Cavani himself wants to add to his experience a showing at the English Premier League. His agent confirmed that both Arsenal and Liverpool have contacted Cavani. "I can confirm that Cavani heard proposals from Liverpool and Arsenal", Claudi Anelluci is quoted in El Telegrafo. "(Cavani) Already said he would love to play in England, but has not yet made a final decision," he added.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- Manny Pacquiao KO Of Chris Algieri Will ‘Shut Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr. Declares Freddie Roach
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery