Manchester United On the Verge Of Signing Angel Di Maria For A Record Bid
By Mohammad Sohaib | August 16, 2014 10:35 AM EST
After the transfer of David Luiz, which cost the team £50 million, Paris Saint-Germain (PSG) withdrew from Angel Di Maria's bid. Since then, Manchester United has been identified as the frontrunner in the bid to sign the 26-year-old Real Madrid midfielder. Moreover, the transfer window has been aggressively utilized by United in the past few weeks as exhibited by the team's determined pursuit to sign quality midfielders, defenders and wingers. However, United lost the chance of signing Thomas Vermaelen to Old Trafford as FC Barcelona successfully sealed the deal with the central defender.
Argentina's Angel Di Maria celebrates scoring against Switzerland during extra time in their 2014 World Cup round of 16 game at the Corinthians arena in Sao Paulo July 1, 2014.
Louis van Gaal wants United to bid high and aim to sign excellent players in order to fulfil his philosophy of playing a 3-5-2 system. At present, the team is playing a 3-4-3 formation due to the lack of players fit to comply with van Gaal's strategy. Hence, the manager has been eyeing new players capable of resolving the team's weaknesses. It is this mindset that prompted United to bid for Di Maria, who has been recognized to be in the same league as Cristiano Ronaldo. However, this undertaking definitely puts into question the financial ability of United.
To be able to go through with this deal, the team will have to break the world record transfer of £85 million set by Real Madrid for Tottenham's Gareth Bale. On the other hand, Ronaldo has been rumoured to be considering a return to United after his transfer to Madrid with a hefty transfer margin of £80 million. His comment, 'you never know', has been analysed as a probable indicator of a comeback to Old Trafford.
"At this moment, we have five number nines and four number 10s - and we don't have wingers to give us attacking width," van Gaal told reporters, as quoted by Goal. "Or, I should say, we don't have wingers of the highest level, like Ronaldo or Di Maria or somebody like that," he added.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Celebrities Who Were Victims of Rape: Psychological and Physical Effects of Rape
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kanye West, Ben Affleck, Serena Williams Are Victims Of Migraines: Ways To Tackle It
- Men’s Tennis’ Grand Slam Winners Of 2014 – Wawrinka, Nadal, Djokovic, and Cilic
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Final: USA Vs. Serbia Live Streaming Info, Key Players And Preview
- Manchester United News: Man Utd. vs QPR - Preview and Live Streaming Link
- Reports Indicate Mayweather Has 2 Girlfriends: Bad Medina & Liza Hernandez
- NFL Week 2: Kansas City Chiefs Vs. Denver Broncos Live Streaming Information And Preview
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Android Lion vs Apple iOS 8: Why Make the Big Switch
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. OnePlus One – Can The Underdog Trump The Monster?
- US Government Threatened Yahoo to Provide User Data: If not Pay a Fine of $250,000 per day
- Optus Successfully Launches Optus 10 Satellite That Will Improve TV, Internet, Phone & Data Transmission In Australia
- 7 Reasons Why Atlassian Topped BRW’s Best Place To Work In Australia 2014 List
- Pope Francis Blasted For Defying Catholic Doctrine, Marries 20 Couples Who Have Cohabited And Had Children In No Else But St Peter's Basilica