Manchester United On the Verge Of Signing Angel Di Maria For A Record Bid
By Mohammad Sohaib | August 16, 2014 10:35 AM EST
After the transfer of David Luiz, which cost the team £50 million, Paris Saint-Germain (PSG) withdrew from Angel Di Maria's bid. Since then, Manchester United has been identified as the frontrunner in the bid to sign the 26-year-old Real Madrid midfielder. Moreover, the transfer window has been aggressively utilized by United in the past few weeks as exhibited by the team's determined pursuit to sign quality midfielders, defenders and wingers. However, United lost the chance of signing Thomas Vermaelen to Old Trafford as FC Barcelona successfully sealed the deal with the central defender.
Argentina's Angel Di Maria celebrates scoring against Switzerland during extra time in their 2014 World Cup round of 16 game at the Corinthians arena in Sao Paulo July 1, 2014.
Louis van Gaal wants United to bid high and aim to sign excellent players in order to fulfil his philosophy of playing a 3-5-2 system. At present, the team is playing a 3-4-3 formation due to the lack of players fit to comply with van Gaal's strategy. Hence, the manager has been eyeing new players capable of resolving the team's weaknesses. It is this mindset that prompted United to bid for Di Maria, who has been recognized to be in the same league as Cristiano Ronaldo. However, this undertaking definitely puts into question the financial ability of United.
To be able to go through with this deal, the team will have to break the world record transfer of £85 million set by Real Madrid for Tottenham's Gareth Bale. On the other hand, Ronaldo has been rumoured to be considering a return to United after his transfer to Madrid with a hefty transfer margin of £80 million. His comment, 'you never know', has been analysed as a probable indicator of a comeback to Old Trafford.
"At this moment, we have five number nines and four number 10s - and we don't have wingers to give us attacking width," van Gaal told reporters, as quoted by Goal. "Or, I should say, we don't have wingers of the highest level, like Ronaldo or Di Maria or somebody like that," he added.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Boxing News: Pacquiao And Mayweather Might Meet 'In The First Six Months Of Next Year' - Bob Arum
- Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao Considers Ditching Jessica Sanchez To Sing Philippine National Anthem In Favour Of Born-Again Pastors; Stallone & Schwarzenegger to Watch Bout
- Michael Phelps' Lover Reveals She Was Born Intersex In Lengthy Facebook Post
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices