Triple M Network Bans All Kiss Songs After Gene Simmons Tells Depressed People, ‘F--- You, Then Kill Yourself’
By Anne Lu | August 15, 2014 11:54 PM EST
Australia’s Triple M Network has banned all Kiss songs as response to Gene Simmons’ “misguided” comments about suicide. A few days before Robin Williams’ death, the U.S. rocker slammed depressed people, saying, “F--- you, then kill yourself.”
A woman takes the photo of the large painting of late actor Robin Williams in Belgrade
In an interview with Songfacts.com published on July 31, Simmons made it known that he couldn’t stand people suffering from mental health problems.
“… And for a putz, 20-year-old kid to say, ‘I’m depressed, I live in Seattle.’ F--- you, then kill yourself,” he said. “I never understand, because I always call them on their bluff. I’m the guy who says ‘Jump!’ when there’s a guy on top of a building who says, ‘That’s it, I can’t take it anymore, I’m going to jump.’
“Are you kidding? Why are you announcing it? Shut the f--- up, have some dignity and jump! You’ve got the crowd.”
He continued, “By the way, you walk up to the same guy on a ledge who threatens to jump and put a gun to his head, I’m going to blow your f---n’ head off!’ He’ll go, ‘Please don’t!’ It’s true. He’s not that insane.”
Simmons’ comments were made prior to Williams’ suicide on August 11. So when he offered his condolences on Twitter, people accused him of being a hypocrite.
R.I.P. Robin Williams. A kind and generous man.
— Gene Simmons (@genesimmons) August 11, 2014
In Australia, radio station Triple M Network has banned all Simmons’ songs and, in extension, all Kiss music from playing on air.
Network head Mike Fitzpatrick has issued a blunt statement, explaining why he pulled all tracks from the band from their playlist nationwide.
“Gene Simmons’ recent comments are misguided and insensitive,” Fitzpatrick said. “Depression and suicide are not topics he should be using to further his notoriety or sell records. His desperation to use mental health issues to find relevancy in a modern age is sickening. I can only put it down to a brain fade on his part.
“The Triple M Network can’t and won’t be supporting this d---head’s music. I put the challenge out to other stations across Australia and North America to also drop any of this nudnik’s songs until such time as he reconsiders his thoughtless and insensitive position.”
Motley Crue bassist Nikki Sixx wasn’t supportive of Simmons’ comments as well. He called the elder rocker’s stance on depression and suicide “pretty moronic.”
“It’s pretty moronic because he thinks everybody listens to him, that he is the god of thunder. He will tell you he is the greatest man on earth, and to be honest with you, I like Gene. But in this situation, I don’t like Gene,” Sixx said on his “Sixx Sense with Nikki Sixx” radio show.
“There is a 20-year-old kid out there who is a Kiss fan and reads this and goes, ‘You know what? He’s right. I should just kill myself.’”
He added, “For people who are depressed, there is a way out. There are many, many ways out. And I don’t want people to listen to an interview from a rock star who’s telling you that the only way out is out when I’m telling you, and I wrote it in ‘The Heroin Diaries,’ you can get out of this.”
According to Williams’ widow Susan Schneider, the “Good Morning, Vietnam” star suffered from depression and was diagnosed with early stages of Parkinson’s Disease before he took his own life.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘Mad Men’ Season 7 [Final Season] Update: Jon Hamm Talks About Surprises And Things Looking Up
- Nina Dobrev Moves On From Ian Somerhalder: ‘TVD’ Actress Trying To Reconcile With Ex, ‘DWTS’ Star Derek Hough—Report Suggests
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 5 Casting: Brothel Guard, Military Officer And More
- ‘American Horror Story’ Season 4 ‘Freak Show’ Update: Skyler Samuels Roped In To Play Pivotal Role, Extended Teaser Released [VIDEO]
- ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ Season 11 Premiere (Episode 1) Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘I Must Have Lost It On The Wind'
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet