New Words Added To Online Oxford Dictionaries Including Time-Poor, Listicle and Live-Tweet
By Janice Somosot | August 15, 2014 11:52 PM EST
Oxford Dictionaries has added new words to its online version including time-poor, listicle and live-tweet. Other unique terms have been added to it such as popular Internet slang binge-watch and "YOLO," which is also known as You Only Live Once. Read on to learn more about it.
A generic picture of an English dictionary and a thesaurus. OFFPO
According to Oxford Dictionaries' blog, the aforementioned words are part of the website's August 2014 update. Below is a list of the other new words included in the online version of Oxford Dictionaries.
4. air punch
7. bedroom tax
9. bro hug
12. cord cutter
23. hot diggity
24. hot mess
25. hot mic
29. in silico
31. nailed on
36. side boob
39. spit take
42. trigger warning
Click HERE to read the definition of the words listed above. Oxford Dictionaries said that the Oxford University Press uses language research programmes such as the Oxford Reading Programme and the Oxford English Corpus to track and get new words for its dictionaries. These words are sourced from the Web including popular fiction, song lyrics or scientific journals. If certain words are found to be used by a lot of people, it will be considered as a candidate to be added in the Oxford Dictionaries. Then, it will be judged whether or not it is important enough to be in the latest update and not just a fad.
Some of the new words added in the Oxford Dictionaries' online version have interesting stories behind it. According to another blog entry posted on its official website, the word "vape" came from the smokeless nicotine vapor that comes out of electronic cigarettes, or "e-cigarettes." On the other hand, the word "cotch," which means to "hang out" or "relax" came from the word "scotch" (to wedge someone or something somewhere). It was believed to be from Jamaican English which tended to drop the letter "s" at the start of its words.
For more updates about education, science, technology, business, finance, politics, entertainment, health and sports, keep reading International Business Times.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- It Doesn’t Pay To Be A Whistleblower In Australia, Especially If Subject Of Expose Is PM’s Daughter
- 5 Disney Movies That Are Actually Scary In The Original Books
- 5 Uncanny Sports That Had Actually Been Part Of The Olympics
- 5 Smartphone Apps For The Workaholic
- Ban On 'Baa Baa Black Sheep' Among Kinders For Political Correctness
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions