Zelda Williams Quits Social Media Accounts Including Twitter And Instagram: Twitter Plans To Evaluate And Improve Its Policies [WATCH VIDEO]
By Janice Somosot | August 15, 2014 9:54 PM EST
Zelda Williams, daughter of Hollywood actor Robin Williams, has quit her social media accounts including Twitter and Instagram. According to the Daily Beast, Zelda got some cruel messages and offensive pictures from other users after she posted a message for her father on her official Twitter account. In response to this, Twitter issued a statement that it plans to evaluate and improve its policies about online harassment. Read on to learn more about it.
Actor and voice of Ramon & Lovelace, Robin Williams (C), wife Susan Schneider (L) and their daughter Zelda Williams (R) arrive at the premiere of "Happy Feet Two" in the Hollywood area of Los Angeles, California, November 13, 2011.
Zelda tweeted a quote from "The Little Prince" by Antoine De Saint-Exupery on Monday, Aug. 11, 2014, the day her dad was found dead in his Paradise Cay, California (near Tiburon) home. Robin reportedly died of Asphyxia due to hanging.
The said quote was about stars that can laugh. Zelda also included a short message for her father.
"I love you. I miss you. I'll try to keep looking up. Z," tweeted Zelda.
Unfortunately, this heartfelt message was met with mean and harsh comments. Some Twitter users blamed or accused Zelda of causing her father's death. Some of them even sent her photo-shopped images of her father that depicted what he looked like when he died.
This prompted Zelda to tweet another message.
"I'm sorry. I should've risen above. Deleting this from my devices for a good long time, maybe forever. Time will tell. Goodbye," tweeted Zelda on Tuesday, Aug. 12, 2014.
On her Instagram account, she asked for respect for her family during this difficult time and for others to stop getting photographs of her father from their personal accounts.
She also posted a longer message on her Tumblr account about her family, her dad and those who are sending negativity out there.
According to Forbes, Del Harvey, Twitter's vice president of trust and safety, issued a statement about improving its policies especially when it comes to tragedies such as Robin's death.
Zelda is Robin's only daughter. Her brothers are Cody Alan Williams and Zachary Pym Williams (half-brother). Like her father, she also acts in Hollywood. Her first acting job was in the 1994 TV movie "In Search of Dr. Seuss." Her latest project is for the TV series "The Legend of Korra" wherein she provided the voice of Kuvira. She was named after Princess Zelda from her father's favourite video game Nintendo's "The Legend of Zelda."
Watch an old video of Robin and Zelda Williams below:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt Photographed Fighting Before ‘Unbroken’ Sydney Premiere – Report [VIDEO]
- 'NCIS Los Angeles' Season 6 Recap: Episode 9 'Traitor' Aired On Nov. 24, 2014, The Hunt For The ‘NCIS LA’ Mole Is Over [WATCH VIDEOS]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 26 Spoilers: Victoria Finds Who The Father Of Her Child Is And Jack And Phyllis Rekindle Romance
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season7, Episode 12 Spoilers: Thanksgiving Break, SAMCRO Returns In December [VIDEO]
- Kate Middleton Cries As She Listens To A Moving Tale Of A Mother Who Lost Her Infant Daughter
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft