'Orange Is The New Black' Update: More Backstory Of Daya, Actor-Comedian Joins Cast of Season 3
By Anshu Shrivastava | August 15, 2014 7:30 PM EST
"Orange is the New Black" Season 3, the Netflix's original series, seems to be on a casting spree. The latest to join the cast of this drama-comedy is actor-comedian, Mike Birbiglia.
Cast member Uzo Aduba speaks, as co-stars (from L-R) Natasha Lyonne, Laverne Cox, Danielle Brooks and Laura Prepon applaud, as they accept the award for Best Comedy Series for "Orange Is the New Black" at the 4th Annual Critics' Choice Television Awards at the Beverly Hilton in Beverly Hills, California June 19, 2014.
The Hollywood Reporter [THR] has reported that Birbiglia has sign on for a recurring role. The report, however, does not reveal what role the actor-comedian is going to play. There is a possibility that he might enter the show as the new prison guard, as Pablo Schreiber will not be returning to reprise his George "Pornstache" Mendez's role in Season 3 of "Orange is the New Black." Pornstache was arrested and sent to prison in Season 2.
In addition to Birbiglia, Mary Steenburgen and Blair Brown have also been roped in for Season 3. Like Birbiglia's character, there is no information on what role Brown is going to portray. Steenburgen is playing the role of Pornstache's mother, and that is all what is known at the moment.
Meanwhile, Dascha Polanca, who plays Dayanara Diaz, has said to Latina that "Orange is the New Black" Season 3 will show more of Daya's backstory. The character will continue to be hormonal and emotional because of her pregnancy. Polanca did not reveal if Daya will give birth to the baby in Season 3.
"Well in season 3 you're going to have a lot more backstory [on Daya]. She's still going to have her hormone imbalances -- she's still going to be all over the place. I can't really say much, because we just started filming, but definitely that belly is growing and growing, and she's maturing along with it," the actress said to Latina.
Polanca will appear as a series regular in Season 3, as she has been finally promoted after virtually appearing in almost all the episodes of the two seasons.
"Orange is the New Black" Season 3 is currently under production in New York. Jenji Kohan, creator of the show, has told THR that the new season is "about faith, to a certain extent."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 29, 2014: Caroline Is Remorseful About What Happened To Her And Ridge While Katie Is Fuming [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'Star Wars: Episode 7' Leaked Image Of New Villain Clutching Red Lightsaber [Spoilers]
- 'The Walking Dead' Star Norman Reedus Bashes The Report That He Begged The Producers Not To Turn Daryl Dixon Gay
- 'Game Of Thrones' Actor Kit Harington Denies Romance With Co-stars Rose Leslie And Emilia Clarke
- 'The Big Bang Theory' Season 8 Episode 7 Spoilers: Penny Takes Off Her Ring In The Misinterpretation Agitation [VIDEO]
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family