'Orange Is The New Black' Update: More Backstory Of Daya, Actor-Comedian Joins Cast of Season 3
By Anshu Shrivastava | August 15, 2014 7:30 PM EST
"Orange is the New Black" Season 3, the Netflix's original series, seems to be on a casting spree. The latest to join the cast of this drama-comedy is actor-comedian, Mike Birbiglia.
Cast member Uzo Aduba speaks, as co-stars (from L-R) Natasha Lyonne, Laverne Cox, Danielle Brooks and Laura Prepon applaud, as they accept the award for Best Comedy Series for "Orange Is the New Black" at the 4th Annual Critics' Choice Television Awards at the Beverly Hilton in Beverly Hills, California June 19, 2014.
The Hollywood Reporter [THR] has reported that Birbiglia has sign on for a recurring role. The report, however, does not reveal what role the actor-comedian is going to play. There is a possibility that he might enter the show as the new prison guard, as Pablo Schreiber will not be returning to reprise his George "Pornstache" Mendez's role in Season 3 of "Orange is the New Black." Pornstache was arrested and sent to prison in Season 2.
In addition to Birbiglia, Mary Steenburgen and Blair Brown have also been roped in for Season 3. Like Birbiglia's character, there is no information on what role Brown is going to portray. Steenburgen is playing the role of Pornstache's mother, and that is all what is known at the moment.
Meanwhile, Dascha Polanca, who plays Dayanara Diaz, has said to Latina that "Orange is the New Black" Season 3 will show more of Daya's backstory. The character will continue to be hormonal and emotional because of her pregnancy. Polanca did not reveal if Daya will give birth to the baby in Season 3.
"Well in season 3 you're going to have a lot more backstory [on Daya]. She's still going to have her hormone imbalances -- she's still going to be all over the place. I can't really say much, because we just started filming, but definitely that belly is growing and growing, and she's maturing along with it," the actress said to Latina.
Polanca will appear as a series regular in Season 3, as she has been finally promoted after virtually appearing in almost all the episodes of the two seasons.
"Orange is the New Black" Season 3 is currently under production in New York. Jenji Kohan, creator of the show, has told THR that the new season is "about faith, to a certain extent."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- 'Star Wars 7': Luke Skywalker Exiled, Turns Into Powerful Wizard
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice’: Leaked Videos Show Batmobile In Motion; Vehicle Reportedly 'Stolen'
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron’: Black Panther Powerful Than Ultron, Can Be New Iron Man
- ‘America's Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Winner: Betting Odds And Judges Predict Who Could Win The Finals
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Winner Predictions: Fellow Contestants And Betting Odds Predict Who Could Win Mirror Ball Trophy
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date