'Game Of Thrones' Filming Location in Belfast Gets Approval For Expansion
By Christine Jane Caparras | August 15, 2014 6:11 PM EST
Titanic Studios in Belfast Northern Ireland is the studio location where part of the scenes for HBO's hit TV series "Game Of Thrones" are being filmed. Plans to expand the now-famous location have been approved and the facility is expected to double in size once the expansion is complete.
Britain's Queen Elizabeth looks at the Iron Throne as she meets members of the cast on the set of the television series Game of Thrones in the Titanic Quarter of Belfast, Northern Ireland, June 24, 2014.
Two new studio spaces and other film production facilities are expected to be added to the existing Titanic Studios which were once part of the Harland and Wolff shipyard. The building was known as "Paint Hall" and had previously served as a space where ship parts were painted before being brought to other parts of the shipyard for assembly. The space has since been repurposed and converted into film studios and parts of the massively successful "Game of Thrones" have been filmed there. The location proves convenient as many scenes from the series have been and are continuing to be filmed in outdoor locations in and around Belfast. Just last week, several scenes were shot in Portstewart Strand, a shoreline facing the Atlantic Ocean located on the Northern Irish coast.
The resulting expansion will put Belfast on the map in terms of international film production, making it the home of one of Europe's largest film production facilities. BBC reports that Environment Minister Mark H Durkan expressed his support for the project and confirmed the approval of the expansion plans.
"It is my aim to ensure planning creates a better environment and a stronger economy. This development helps to do this." said Durkan. The popularity of "Game of Thrones" has given rise to worldwide interest in the locations used in the series. Sightings of the cast members that have been spotted in and around Belfast have been constantly making news attracting fans to visit the area. Interest in the studios from other production outfits have also risen due to the success of the HBO series and tourism has been positively been affected in the area.
Apart from helping the local economy, environmental concerns about the presence of such a massive production studio in the docklands were raised. Mr. Durkan explained that a sustainable energy source such as solar panels are being considered in the expansion facility to make it beneficial both for the industry and the environment.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Guardians Of The Galaxy 2’ Nebula Is Alive And James Gunn Wants Fans To See More Of Her
- Selena Gomez And Justin Bieber: Songstress Fears Pregnancy After Experiencing Pregnancy Symptoms—Report
- 'American Horror Story' Season 4 Episode 8 Spoilers: Big Twist Features Dandy In Blood Bath
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7, Episode 12 Spoilers: Katey Sagal On Gemma Teller’s Fate in ‘Red Rose’ [VIDEO]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers – ‘Coda’: Midseason Finale Is ‘Heartbreaking’ And ‘Gut-Wrenching’
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Walmart Canada Black Friday 2014 Ad For Nov. 28, 2014 Up To Dec. 1, 2014 Includes Savings On The iPad Mini 16GB And The Beats Solo HD Drenched Headphones