Photographer Discovers Mime was Young Robin Williams 35 Years After
By Athena Yenko | August 15, 2014 5:46 PM EST
Thirty-five years after, a photographer discovers that the mime he photographed in 1970 was then young Robin Williams.
Back in 1974, a photographer took a photo of two mimes in Central Park. After 35 years, he discovered that one of the two mimes was actually Robin Williams who was not yet known as he was today.
Newspapers announcing the death of comedian Robin Williams are stacked on a newsstand in New York August 12, 2014. Williams, the actor whose madcap comic style made him one of television and film's biggest stars was remembered as a creative genius on Tuesday as family, friends and fans mourned his death in an apparent suicide at the age of 63.
At that time, he was young and passionate, but a struggling photographer, Daniel Sorine shared.
Due to limited funds, he was not able to afford a studio or travel around the globe to capture beautiful photos. His only choice was the streets of New York, the Central Park in particular.
The Central Park then was a "a photographers paradise thanks to an unlimited amount of live performers showcasing their various talents."
One day in 1974, two mimes attracted his attention.
"What attracted me to Robin Williams and his fellow mime, Todd Oppenheimer, was an unusual amount of intensity, personality and physical fluidity. When I approached them with my Pentax Spotmatic they allowed me to invite them into my camera instead of me having to chase after them," Sorine told Peta Pixel.
The photo was kept hidden away in his old suitcases for 35 years and it was only back in 2009 when he realised that the young mime in the photo was Williams.
"I had captured a wonderful moment in history," Sorine fondly recalls.
AAP correspondent Peter Mitchell, too, has fond memories of Williams.
"As soon as Williams heard an Australian accent, he'd go into overdrive, roll out his ocker routine and riff for minutes as if he were Bruce from Bondi rather than Robin from Chicago or Mork from Ork," Mitchell wrote.
He said that Williams' favourite Australian was director Peter Weir, whom he made the widely acclaimed movie, the Dead Poets Society.
Williams had also described Sydney as a lovely place and had always the same joke told over again about Sydney.
"They have the most beautiful saltwater pools around Sydney. Of course, you can't go in the ocean because there's things in there that will kill you, so you go in the pool. You ask one of the locals 'Why can't I go in the ocean? Why do I have to go in the pool?' and he'll say 'There's box jellyfish in there, great whites, sea snakes. But if you want to go in, you can'," Williams' joke went.
Lifeline: 13 11 14
Suicide Call Back Service: 1300 659 467
MensLine Australia: 1300 78 99 78
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Graffiti Artist Banksy Arrested In London - News Causes Social Media Panic
- Vandals Destroy Giant Art Installation In Paris That Looks Like A Sex Toy
- 10 Easy Halloween Decor Ideas
- Kim Kardashian Attends Gallery Opening In A Sexy Top Amid Nude Photo Scandal
- Late Singer Amy Winehouse's Statue Unveiled On Her 31st Birthday In North London [SEE VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28