Photographer Discovers Mime was Young Robin Williams 35 Years After
By Athena Yenko | August 15, 2014 5:46 PM EST
Thirty-five years after, a photographer discovers that the mime he photographed in 1970 was then young Robin Williams.
Back in 1974, a photographer took a photo of two mimes in Central Park. After 35 years, he discovered that one of the two mimes was actually Robin Williams who was not yet known as he was today.
Newspapers announcing the death of comedian Robin Williams are stacked on a newsstand in New York August 12, 2014. Williams, the actor whose madcap comic style made him one of television and film's biggest stars was remembered as a creative genius on Tuesday as family, friends and fans mourned his death in an apparent suicide at the age of 63.
At that time, he was young and passionate, but a struggling photographer, Daniel Sorine shared.
Due to limited funds, he was not able to afford a studio or travel around the globe to capture beautiful photos. His only choice was the streets of New York, the Central Park in particular.
The Central Park then was a "a photographers paradise thanks to an unlimited amount of live performers showcasing their various talents."
One day in 1974, two mimes attracted his attention.
"What attracted me to Robin Williams and his fellow mime, Todd Oppenheimer, was an unusual amount of intensity, personality and physical fluidity. When I approached them with my Pentax Spotmatic they allowed me to invite them into my camera instead of me having to chase after them," Sorine told Peta Pixel.
The photo was kept hidden away in his old suitcases for 35 years and it was only back in 2009 when he realised that the young mime in the photo was Williams.
"I had captured a wonderful moment in history," Sorine fondly recalls.
AAP correspondent Peter Mitchell, too, has fond memories of Williams.
"As soon as Williams heard an Australian accent, he'd go into overdrive, roll out his ocker routine and riff for minutes as if he were Bruce from Bondi rather than Robin from Chicago or Mork from Ork," Mitchell wrote.
He said that Williams' favourite Australian was director Peter Weir, whom he made the widely acclaimed movie, the Dead Poets Society.
Williams had also described Sydney as a lovely place and had always the same joke told over again about Sydney.
"They have the most beautiful saltwater pools around Sydney. Of course, you can't go in the ocean because there's things in there that will kill you, so you go in the pool. You ask one of the locals 'Why can't I go in the ocean? Why do I have to go in the pool?' and he'll say 'There's box jellyfish in there, great whites, sea snakes. But if you want to go in, you can'," Williams' joke went.
Lifeline: 13 11 14
Suicide Call Back Service: 1300 659 467
MensLine Australia: 1300 78 99 78
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Late Singer Amy Winehouse's Statue Unveiled On Her 31st Birthday In North London [SEE VIDEO]
- DIY Spring Project: Make Your Own Bird Bath And Liven Up Your Garden
- Jennifer Lawrence’s Nude Photos To Be Displayed In Art Exhibit
- Jennifer Lawrence And Kate Upton's Uncensored Nude Photos To Be Put Up In Exhibition In Florida
- Hello Kitty's Shocking News: She Is Not Cat But A Little Girl Of George and Mary White
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet