'Game Of Thrones' Takes Inspiration From Alfred Hitchcock's 'Psycho' Says George RR Martin [VIDEO]
By Christine Jane Caparras | August 15, 2014 4:35 PM EST
"Game Of Thrones" creator George RR Martin has revealed that he takes inspiration from Alfred Hitchcock's film "Psycho" in the way he writes his novels. Martin wrote the book series "A Song of Ice and Fire" from which the hit HBO Original series is based.
George R.R. Martin, author of the "Song of Ice and Fire" fantasy series that is the basis of the television series "Game of Thrones", gestures during his masterclass at the Neuchatel International Fantastic Film Festival (NIFFF) in Neuchatel July 10, 2014.
Audiences and readers have become hooked to the nonchalant way that Martin kills off his story's main characters whether they are loathsome villains or well-loved protagonists. The first season of the TV series saw Lord Eddard Stark lose his head in the penultimate episode of the first season not even giving him the honour of going out emphatically in the season finale. Lord Stark was a central character in the first season and is in fact still very much a presence in the story four seasons into the series.
In Alfred Hitchcock's "Psycho" the main protagonist played by Janet Leigh was killed off in the infamous bloody shower stabbing long before the end of the film. Martin revealed that he wanted to establish a connection with what was done in "Psycho" and with what he is currently doing in his novels and in the "Game of Thrones" series. The renowned author talked about the Hitchcock connection during an interview with the Independent at the Neuchâtel International Film Festival. Part of Martin's itinerary at the festival involved introducing the screening of the film "Psycho" to festival goers.
"I am hardly the first person to kill a character unexpectedly and thereby get a big reaction from the audience." said Martin. The series definitely got a big reaction from Ned Stark's death and many more sudden deaths thereafter. Season 3's Red Wedding in which Ned's son Robb and his pregnant wife were violently ambushed during an uncle's wedding has drawn huge reactions from audiences worldwide. Ned's wife Catelyn Stark died in the same sequence by having her throat slit after watching her son die.
In season 4, a new well-loved character, the charismatic Oberyn Martell engaged in a duel which saw him close to winning against the man who murdered his sister and her children. His lengthy monologue and carelessness in the end robbed him of sure victory and he ended up with his head smashed into a pulp. Joffrey Baratheon also died earlier in the fourth season to the delight of fans who have long been fed up with the vile character.
Now that the books and the TV series have gained worldwide popularity, many fans have come up with their own speculations and theories as to who will die next. Martin maintains that he does not change his story line because of what fans say or even if fans have guessed what will happen next. Martin is currently in the middle of writing the sixth installment of the book series while filming for season 5 of the TV show has just begun. He declared that there is no democracy and he will keep villains alive and kill off well-loved characters if the plot calls for it and not because the fans have asked for it. The same goes for other aspects of the story including Jon Snow's real parentage and other conspiracy theories.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- "Game of Thrones" Season 5 Spoilers -- Arya Stark’s New Costume, Mace Tyrell And Tycho Spotted On The Sets
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Sept. 19, 2014: Hope Needs To Decide If She Will Stay With Wyatt Or Go With Liam [WATCH VIDEO]
- The Pirate Bay Founder Peter Sunde’s Freedom: Hollywood People Oppose TPB Founder’s Imprisonment
- The Bachelor Australia’ Season 2 Spoilers: Curly Hair Bachelorette’s Exit In Episode 16, Blake Talks About Laurina And Why He Rubbed His Eye
- 'Dancing With The Stars' (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Week 2 Spoilers: Things To Expect; Find Out Which Choreographer Is Quitting
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Unofficial ‘Samsung Galaxy Alpha’ Can Now Be Purchased For $700 In The US
- Google Now v. Siri v. Cortana – Comparison Of The Three Leading Virtual Assistants
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Sony Xperia E3 vs. Moto G (2014) – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown