Excess Water Consumption Leads to the Death of 17-Year-Old
By Sarah Thomas | August 15, 2014 4:06 PM EST
Zyrees Oliver, 17-year-old Douglas County High School football player, lost his life due to drinking excessive amounts of water. The boy was supposed to start his first day of his senior year of high school in Georgia. He suddenly collapsed and was taken to the hospital immediately in a helicopter.
Volunteers unload drinking water from a truck outside Waite High School in Toledo, Ohio August 3, 2014. Testing of water for toxins in Toledo, Ohio, continued on Sunday as some 400,000 people remained without safe drinking water for a second day following the discovery of high toxin levels from algae on Lake Erie. REUTERS/Joshua Lott (UNITED STATES - Tags: DISASTER ENVIRONMENT)
He was practicing and collapsed after the practice. He had drank two gallons of water and two gallons of Gatorade during the football practice. Doctors said that he was brain dead. The excess water consumption lead to overhydration which caused the body's electrolytes to go off balance, and ultimately, the boy suffered from an enormous swelling in his brain.
He was on life support for five days. His family, after struggling with their emotions, took him off life support. "The water flooded his system and his brain started to swell," his cousin, Bryant Stewart, told Atlanta-Journal Constitution
His aunt, Tammy Chavis, said that most often we think more water would combat dehydration and it is good, but she said that it was not the same in all cases, and in some, "it does the opposite." The family lost a healthy, beautiful, vibrant young man," said Chavis. Zyrees was an excellent football player and was great at academics too as he had a 3.8 GPA.
Douglas County High School Principal Dr Tim Scott said, "We are saddened to inform you of the death of Zyrees Oliver, a senior at Douglas County High School. He passed away early this morning." Zyrees was a blessing he continued not just to his football and track teammates but to his classmates, coaches and school staff as well.
"The death of any young person is a loss that, in one way or another, affects each of us. We have lost one of our children but we will not forget his academic, athletic and overall impact and achievement he had on and while at our school," Scott said.
His parents are raising money on gofundme page to fly his body to New Jersey. The cause of his death is extremely rare, but it has happened in the past as well. In 2007, a woman died drinking 2 gallons of water.
When there is an excess of water consumed in a short period of time, it dilutes the nutrients in the body and exerts heavy pressure on the brain, leading to coma or death, if not treated.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Celebrities Who Were Victims of Rape: Psychological and Physical Effects of Rape
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kanye West, Ben Affleck, Serena Williams Are Victims Of Migraines: Ways To Tackle It
- Men’s Tennis’ Grand Slam Winners Of 2014 – Wawrinka, Nadal, Djokovic, and Cilic
Join the Conversation
- 'Django Unchained' Actress Danielle Watts Mistaken As Prostitute And Arrested; Accused Police of Racism
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Kate Suffering From Hyperemesis Gravidarium, Sickness; Ways To Tackle It
- Transformer Star Shia LaBeouf Pleads Guilty For Disorderly Conduct At Cabaret Performance, Receiving Treatment For Alcoholism
- British Playboy Model Kerri Parker Said That She Became An Introvert Following A Brain Surgery
- A Wife's Happiness is More Crucial Than Her Husband's For a Long Lasting, Happy Marriage, Finds Study
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Android Lion vs Apple iOS 8: Why Make the Big Switch
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. OnePlus One – Can The Underdog Trump The Monster?
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date
- Australia's Imam Council Rebuffs Abbott Decision To Send Troops; Wants 'Islamic' Dropped From ISIS
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown