DeMarcus Cousins Suffers Knee Contusion, Condition Is Day To Day
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | August 15, 2014 3:28 PM EST
USA Basketball loses another man to an untimely injury as the FIBA World Cup of Basketball in Spain draws near.
According to ESPN, Sacramento Kings center DeMarcus Cousins suffered a right knee contusion as he was chasing for a loose ball and dove to the floor. Team USA and the Kings can both heave a sigh of relief as initial diagnosis revealed no structural damage to the knee. Cousins is listed as day to day.
Aug 1, 2014; Las Vegas, NV, USA; USA Team White forward Paul Milsap (51) drives the ball against the defense of USA Team Blue guard Paul George (29) during the USA Basketball Showcase at Thomas & Mack Center.
The versatile big man got entangled with New Orleans forward Anthony Davis in the team's practice Thursday. Both men hit the floor and Cousins was slow to get up. He had to be helped by teammates and was visibly limping. The latest setback is a disturbing trend for Team USA which earlier lost Paul George to a freak injury.
Aside from missing the services of the Indiana Pacers all-star small forward, the Americans are already without Blake Griffin, Kevin Love and the latest omission, Kevin Durant, who all withdrew from participation due to various reasons. Griffin is sidelined to heal a back injury. Love held out to make sure that his trade to the Cleveland Cavaliers will have no hiccups while Durant chose not be included in the team due to fatigue.
The clearance for Cousins is a big relief for the team as the MRI revealed that there is no structural damage. Team USA coach Mike Kryzewski and his team were visibly concerned with Cousins as they approached the big man to look into his injury. Cousin for his part was not immediately wary as he was even doling out messages through his phone while being attended by the staff. The team also gave out its official statement in light of the recent development.
"USA Basketball National Team member DeMarcus Cousins suffered a knee-to-knee collision with a teammate during Thursday's USA practice in Chicago. According to USA Basketball team physician Dr. Lisa Callahan (Hospital for Special Surgery/New York Knicks), an MRI was done and revealed no structural damage. Cousins is listed as day-to-day," the team said in a statement.
The polarizing big man known for his emotional style of play also assured his followers on Twitter of his condition.
Thanks for all the concern, I'm fine— DeMarcus Cousins (@boogiecousins) August 14, 2014
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- USA Defeats Lithuania, 96-68; Americans Advance To Championship Round Of 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Miami Heat Prepare For Life Without LeBron James, To Feature More Of Wade And Bosh In New System
- Iggy Azalea Sex Tape: The Story So Far
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Superfight Won’t Happen Because Floyd Is Scared Of Left-Handed Boxers, Pacman - Bob Arum
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone