Roger Federer First to Reach 300 Wins in ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Events
By Dana Alyssa Ramos | August 15, 2014 2:45 PM EST
Roger Federer added another feather to his cap with a new milestone to his career highlights as he became the first player to reach 300 wins in ATP World Tour Masters events.
Roger Federer of Switzerland wipes his face during a training session ahead of the Wimbledon Tennis Championships in London June 22, 2014.
"We have a certain obligation to play the 1000s, and I think that's why they're so popular, that's why the people show up because they know that the best players will most likely play," Federer said via the tour's official website.
The world no. 3 improved to a 300-89 win-loss record ATP 1000 matches, ahead of Rafael Nadal (281-54) and Novak Djokovic (220-54) in the second and third positions on the ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Wins Leaders list as of August 13, 2014.
The Swiss, who achieved his first Masters 1000 win in Miami 14 years ago, won over Vasek Pospisil 7-6 (4), 5-7, 6-2 in Cincinnati marking the beginning of his campaign for his sixth Western & Southern Open title.
Federer, who turned 33 just recently, remains among the tennis' top bananas after sharing a top-10 ranking with now-retired colleagues such as Marat Safin, Andy Roddick, Carlos Moya, Gaston Gaudio and Tim Henman.
Among today's ruling quartet in the tennis realm, Federer was the only one to advance until the Toronto semi-finals as Nadal has been nursing a wrist injury he acquired in practice, and both Andy Murray and Djokovic lost to Jo-Wilfried Tsonga before Federer did.
The 17-time Grand Slam champion added another season-leading ATP match win total in just less than two hours as he notched victory against Gael Monfils 6-4, 4-6, 6-3 to reach the Cincinnati Masters quarter-finals.
Roger Federer appears to create another history as he prepares to win his sixth US Open next month, which will extend his major titles to 18.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop