Sir Peter Jackson to Help NZ Govt in Designing WWI Museum [VIDEO]
By Anne Lu | August 15, 2014 2:30 PM EST
Sir Peter Jackson will be helping the New Zealand government in designing a World War I museum in Wellington.
Prime Minister John Key has announced that the “Lord of the Rings” filmmaker will be leading the creative team developing the exhibition at the Dominion Museum Building, which overlooks the National War Memorial.
The government will invest $7 million for the project, but would still aim to receive additional financial help.
Jackson said that with the last veteran who served in the WWI gone, it is appropriate that the country commemorates the soldiers’ achievements.
“This museum will not cover the strategies of the generals, but will deal with what life was like for both the Kiwi soldier leaving their families to fight a foreign war on the other side of the world, and for those left behind,” the Academy Award-winning director said.
The museum will only temporarily open in April to coincide with the First World War centenary commemorations in April. It is expected to be free of charge, and will open on Anzac Day.
“The creative skills of Sir Peter will ensue the temporary museum captures stories of World War I in a way that is inclusive and innovative,” Arts, Culture and Heritage Minister Chris Finlayson said.
Meanwhile, Jackson has revealed that he might include the never-before-seen clips of the “Lord of the Rings” film series in the upcoming “The Hobbit” movie.
“There are a few scenes that haven’t been seen from ‘Lord of the Rings,’ but not many. We might try to put them back in,” he said at the Comic Con in July, as quoted by Gigjets.com.
He was referring to the third instalment of his film series titled “The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies,” which will be released in theatres on December 11 in New Zealand, and on December 26 in Australia.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Camilla Parker-Bowles To Become Queen When Prince Charles Accedes To The Throne
Join the Conversation
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Grand Final Sing-Off: Marlisa Punzalan, Dean Ray and Brothers 3 [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Promo, Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘Four Walls And A Roof’
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- 'American Horror Story' : Renewed For Season 5, Ryan Murphy Says 'We're Not Doing Space'
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage