Sir Peter Jackson to Help NZ Govt in Designing WWI Museum [VIDEO]
By Anne Lu | August 15, 2014 2:30 PM EST
Sir Peter Jackson will be helping the New Zealand government in designing a World War I museum in Wellington.
Prime Minister John Key has announced that the “Lord of the Rings” filmmaker will be leading the creative team developing the exhibition at the Dominion Museum Building, which overlooks the National War Memorial.
The government will invest $7 million for the project, but would still aim to receive additional financial help.
Jackson said that with the last veteran who served in the WWI gone, it is appropriate that the country commemorates the soldiers’ achievements.
“This museum will not cover the strategies of the generals, but will deal with what life was like for both the Kiwi soldier leaving their families to fight a foreign war on the other side of the world, and for those left behind,” the Academy Award-winning director said.
The museum will only temporarily open in April to coincide with the First World War centenary commemorations in April. It is expected to be free of charge, and will open on Anzac Day.
“The creative skills of Sir Peter will ensue the temporary museum captures stories of World War I in a way that is inclusive and innovative,” Arts, Culture and Heritage Minister Chris Finlayson said.
Meanwhile, Jackson has revealed that he might include the never-before-seen clips of the “Lord of the Rings” film series in the upcoming “The Hobbit” movie.
“There are a few scenes that haven’t been seen from ‘Lord of the Rings,’ but not many. We might try to put them back in,” he said at the Comic Con in July, as quoted by Gigjets.com.
He was referring to the third instalment of his film series titled “The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies,” which will be released in theatres on December 11 in New Zealand, and on December 26 in Australia.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Oct. 27-31, 2014: As Halloween Draws Near, Forrester Creations Will Reel From Eric's Shocking Decision And The Rest Will Scramble To Make Their Plans Successful [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'