Sony Android 4.4.2, 4.4.4 KitKat Updates: Xperia Smartphones and Xperia Tablets
By Ryan Inoyori | August 15, 2014 12:33 PM EST
Sony Mobile continues to rollout the official Android KitKat upgrades to notable Xperia smartphones and tablets. The company currently supports both Android 4.4.2 and Android 4.4.4 upgrades to selected models worldwide based on the official software support pages.
Android 4.4.4 KitKat Support
At this time, Sony Mobile supports Android 4.4.4 KitKat on four smartphones which are Xperia Z1, Xperia Z1s, Xperia Z Ultra and Xperia Z1 Compact. Users of these devices can obtain the latest Android 4.4.4 KitKat version using the Update Centre app or the respective Sony PC suite installed on a Windows computer or MAC.
Notable Changes on Android 4.4.4 KitKat update:
1. Default Android 4.4.4 enhancements and security upgrades from Google.
2. Improvements on the camera user experience.
3. Enhancements to Google Voice, Email, Contacts, Google+ and music streaming.
4. Latest versions of Sony exclusive apps and services.
5. Latest bug fixes, optimisations and improvements.
Older Xperia Z models such as Xperia Z, Xperia ZL and Xperia ZR are still pending on Android 4.4.4 KitKat update. No official announcements from Sony Mobile or posts from PTCRB have been reported as of date.
Android 4.4.2 KitKat Support
Several Xperia models are upgradable to the official Android 4.4.2 KitKat from Sony Mobile including Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR, Xperia T2 Ultra, Xperia E1 and Xperia Tablet Z. Similar with eligible devices to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, users can obtain the new firmware by using the Update Centre app or the respectively Sony PC suite installed on a Windows computer or MAC.
Notable Changes from Android 4.4.2 KitKat update:
1. Android 4.4.2 KitKat default features and enhancements.
2. Revamped on the user interface based on Sony PlayStation 4.
3. Camera improvements including Creative Video effect support.
4. Support for colourful emojis.
5. Easy screenshot using the built-in screenshot menu.
6. Updated versions of Sony exclusive apps and services.
Sony Xperia T2 Ultra features a unique "Transfer Apps to SD card" with Android 4.4.2 KitKat which was not reported on Xperia Z update while Xperia M2 is expected to receive Android KitKat soon after PTCRB posted certified firmware builds.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Sony Xperia Z3, Z1, Z1 Compact And Z Ultra Latest Firmware 23.0.A.2.108 And 14.4.A.0.155 Certified
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 64-Bit Octa-Core CPU Expected On Samsung Galaxy S6 And Sony Xperia Z4
- Android 5.0 Lollipop For Sony Xperia Z Devices Arriving By 2015; Z Ultra GPE Update Confirmed In 2014
- Nexus 9 NVIDIA Tegra K1 Beats Nexus 6 Adreno 420, Galaxy Note 4 Mali T-760 In GPU Tests
- Android 5.0 Lollipop SDK Makes Rooting More Difficult And Overriding Impose Serious Risk To Attacks
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’