Sony Android 4.4.2, 4.4.4 KitKat Updates: Xperia Smartphones and Xperia Tablets
By Ryan Inoyori | August 15, 2014 12:33 PM EST
Sony Mobile continues to rollout the official Android KitKat upgrades to notable Xperia smartphones and tablets. The company currently supports both Android 4.4.2 and Android 4.4.4 upgrades to selected models worldwide based on the official software support pages.
Android 4.4.4 KitKat Support
At this time, Sony Mobile supports Android 4.4.4 KitKat on four smartphones which are Xperia Z1, Xperia Z1s, Xperia Z Ultra and Xperia Z1 Compact. Users of these devices can obtain the latest Android 4.4.4 KitKat version using the Update Centre app or the respective Sony PC suite installed on a Windows computer or MAC.
Notable Changes on Android 4.4.4 KitKat update:
1. Default Android 4.4.4 enhancements and security upgrades from Google.
2. Improvements on the camera user experience.
3. Enhancements to Google Voice, Email, Contacts, Google+ and music streaming.
4. Latest versions of Sony exclusive apps and services.
5. Latest bug fixes, optimisations and improvements.
Older Xperia Z models such as Xperia Z, Xperia ZL and Xperia ZR are still pending on Android 4.4.4 KitKat update. No official announcements from Sony Mobile or posts from PTCRB have been reported as of date.
Android 4.4.2 KitKat Support
Several Xperia models are upgradable to the official Android 4.4.2 KitKat from Sony Mobile including Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR, Xperia T2 Ultra, Xperia E1 and Xperia Tablet Z. Similar with eligible devices to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, users can obtain the new firmware by using the Update Centre app or the respectively Sony PC suite installed on a Windows computer or MAC.
Notable Changes from Android 4.4.2 KitKat update:
1. Android 4.4.2 KitKat default features and enhancements.
2. Revamped on the user interface based on Sony PlayStation 4.
3. Camera improvements including Creative Video effect support.
4. Support for colourful emojis.
5. Easy screenshot using the built-in screenshot menu.
6. Updated versions of Sony exclusive apps and services.
Sony Xperia T2 Ultra features a unique "Transfer Apps to SD card" with Android 4.4.2 KitKat which was not reported on Xperia Z update while Xperia M2 is expected to receive Android KitKat soon after PTCRB posted certified firmware builds.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- The Latest Nikon D750 Costs $2500, But The Full Frame Model Is Worth The Buy
- ‘Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare’: Sledgehammer Games Releases Launch Trailer, Smooth Multiplayer And Dedicated Servers
- Early Unofficial Android 5.0 Lollipop Port for Nexus 4
- Sony Teases PS4 2.0 System Software Update As Sony Xperia Z2 And Z2 Tablet Get Remote Play
- ‘Halo': The Master Chief Collection, Updates And Preorder Details; 343 Industries Announces ‘Halo 2 Anniversary’ Documentary
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks
- U.S. Missile Shield In Europe Opens In Romania: Russia's Reservations Ignored
- Spain Offers To Train Iraqi Troops To Fight Back ISIS Militants: Kurdish Forces Making Gains In Kobani Against ISIS Surge