Sony Android 4.4.2, 4.4.4 KitKat Updates: Xperia Smartphones and Xperia Tablets
By Ryan Inoyori | August 15, 2014 12:33 PM EST
Sony Mobile continues to rollout the official Android KitKat upgrades to notable Xperia smartphones and tablets. The company currently supports both Android 4.4.2 and Android 4.4.4 upgrades to selected models worldwide based on the official software support pages.
Android 4.4.4 KitKat Support
At this time, Sony Mobile supports Android 4.4.4 KitKat on four smartphones which are Xperia Z1, Xperia Z1s, Xperia Z Ultra and Xperia Z1 Compact. Users of these devices can obtain the latest Android 4.4.4 KitKat version using the Update Centre app or the respective Sony PC suite installed on a Windows computer or MAC.
Notable Changes on Android 4.4.4 KitKat update:
1. Default Android 4.4.4 enhancements and security upgrades from Google.
2. Improvements on the camera user experience.
3. Enhancements to Google Voice, Email, Contacts, Google+ and music streaming.
4. Latest versions of Sony exclusive apps and services.
5. Latest bug fixes, optimisations and improvements.
Older Xperia Z models such as Xperia Z, Xperia ZL and Xperia ZR are still pending on Android 4.4.4 KitKat update. No official announcements from Sony Mobile or posts from PTCRB have been reported as of date.
Android 4.4.2 KitKat Support
Several Xperia models are upgradable to the official Android 4.4.2 KitKat from Sony Mobile including Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR, Xperia T2 Ultra, Xperia E1 and Xperia Tablet Z. Similar with eligible devices to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, users can obtain the new firmware by using the Update Centre app or the respectively Sony PC suite installed on a Windows computer or MAC.
Notable Changes from Android 4.4.2 KitKat update:
1. Android 4.4.2 KitKat default features and enhancements.
2. Revamped on the user interface based on Sony PlayStation 4.
3. Camera improvements including Creative Video effect support.
4. Support for colourful emojis.
5. Easy screenshot using the built-in screenshot menu.
6. Updated versions of Sony exclusive apps and services.
Sony Xperia T2 Ultra features a unique "Transfer Apps to SD card" with Android 4.4.2 KitKat which was not reported on Xperia Z update while Xperia M2 is expected to receive Android KitKat soon after PTCRB posted certified firmware builds.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- ‘Minecraft PS Vita,’ PS4 And Xbox One Updates And More On The Microsoft Deal
- 'The Sims 4' Mods: Buff Emotion Changes, Pay Very Low Bills And Enable Advanced Debug For Cheats
- iPhone 6 Plus Sold Out Apple Store Crash Due to Pre-orders: Where to Place Your Orders and the Packages Offered in the US and UK
- Meet 3 New 'Pokemon Omega Ruby And Alpha Sapphire' Mega Evolutions And Legendary Rayquaza
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire’ Confirmed With Demo, More Info Revealed
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date