Australian Dollar Outlook - 15 August 2014
By Christine Gaylican | August 15, 2014 11:44 AM EST
Bell FX Currency Outlook: The AUD is a little higher as risk appetite improved overnight.
Australia: In what was another fairly quiet session in global currency markets, the general tone was risk-on with equities, emerging currencies and commoditity currencies (such as the AUD and NZD) generally in positive territory.
Four thousand U.S. dollars are counted out by a banker counting currency at a bank in Westminster, Colorado November 3, 2009.
The AUD is currently trading around 0.9315, off from highs of 0.9327, modestly higher than the 0.9300 level seen this time yesterday. With not much happening on the domestic front, it was offshore news that drove markets as Ukraine opened the door to a compromise over humanitarian aid arriving on hundreds of trucks from Russia, saying it could accept the supplies if the Red Cross distributed them in the nation's war-torn eastern regions. No data is due to be released today in Australia or Asia so it looks to be a quiet day.
Majors: It was another night of disappointing European data as German GDP missed expectations, coming out at -0.2% QoQ (expected flat), a
particular worry given it is Europe's largest economy. French GDP also missed, coming out flat QoQ (0.1% expected), while Eurozone CPI and GDP also both missed by 0.1%. Dispite all this the EUR and GBP finished the session flat, while European equities gained ground.
The USD is up against the yen, along with US equities as a further indicator of improved risk sentiment. It should be a quiet session in Europe with the Assumption Day being observed in several nations,although there is a major data release in the UK in the form of GDP.
Meanwhile in the US, PPI, New York Empire State Manufacturing Index and industrial production are all being released.
15 AUG UK GDP QoQ/YoY 2Q
US Empire Manufacturing Aug
US PPI Final Demand MoM/YoY Jul
US Industrial Production MoM Jul
For the latest pricing, ranges visit www.bellpotter.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan
- China Is Building An Island In The Spratly Islands—Report
- ISIS War: US Airstrikes Lead to Growing ISIS Support In Syria; Russia Questions Coalition's Policies
- New Zealand's Surveillance Laws Are Anti-People, Says Green Party leader Russel Norman
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues