Samsung Galaxy Alpha Release Date, Full Specifications and Price Roundup
By Pavithra Rathinavel | August 15, 2014 11:12 AM EST
On Wednesday, Samsung officially announced the upcoming Galaxy Alpha smartphone. Readers who are looking for a complete metal-clad offering from Samsung will slightly be disappointed with the Galaxy Alpha. Owing to the fact that, the metallic effect can only be seen on the surrounding corners, frames, home button and the border encircling the camera lens. Nevertheless, the device is a much required change from the plastic-look synonymous with Samsung handsets. Also, the Samsung Galaxy Alpha release date is pegged for Sept. 12.
Students walk out of Samsung Electronics' headquarters in Seoul July 7, 2014. Samsung Electronics Co Ltd on Tuesday said operating profit likely fell 24.5 percent in April-June, its lowest in two years due to slowing growth in the company's cash cow smartphone business and the strength of the South Korean won.
The Galaxy Alpha will feature a 4.7-inch Super AMOLED display in combination with 720 x 1,280 pixels screen resolution and one-of-a-kind PenTile pixel grouping. In addition, the device will be powered by an octa-core (Exynos) processor or a quad-core (Qualcomm Snapdragon 801) processor depending on the region of release. In addition, the device will also support "LTE Cat. 6" cellular network. This means, users will be able to get up to 300 Mbps download speed, according to Phone Arena.
Other salient features include a good 12 MP rear-facing camera unit and a 2.1 MP front-facing shooter. Additionally, the phone houses a 2 GB of RAM to aid the processor. When it comes to memory, the Galaxy Alpha will come equipped with 32 GB of internal storage with no microSD slot for expansion.
Also, the phone will be backed by a mediocre 1860 mAh battery unit. Furthermore, the device will run on Android v4.4.4 KitKat OS. Apart from the standard connectivity options like Bluetooth v4.0, Wi-Fi and USB, the handset will also support NFC. The handset will also come with Fingerprint and Gesture sensors. The thickness and the weight pertaining to the upcoming Samsung handset are 6.7 mm and 115 g respectively.
Price and Release Date
The Galaxy Alpha will be available for pre-order starting Aug. 15 in Russia followed by a launch slated for Sept. 12. Apparently, the device will be priced at a Russian equivalent of $690. However Phone Arena opines that the price of the Galaxy Alpha in the U.S. will be a little short of US$600.
When it comes to the UK, "Three" is the first carrier to confirm that the Galaxy Alpha will be listed shortly. However, the price and exact release date are not known at this point, according to GSM Arena.
2. Nokia X2 Release Imminent as Microsoft's New Commercial Surfaces; Specifications, Features and Price Listed - [Read]
3. New Samsung Galaxy Mega 2 Phablet With 6-Inch Display, 13 MP Camera And 2 GB RAM in the Offing - [Read]
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge Battery Life Test Shows Its Curved Display And Build Has Impacted Its Battery Performance