Robin Williams Death: Confused Twitter and Facebook Users Express Grief Over Take That Singer Robbie Williams Instead of Hollywood Actor
By Jenalyn Villamarin | August 15, 2014 10:14 AM EST
The news of Robin Williams' death on Monday, Aug. 11, caused an overflow of posts expressing grief on social media sites like Facebook and Twitter. However, some people got confused and paid tribute to the former "Take That" singer Robbie Williams instead of the 63-year-old Hollywood actor.
Flowers are seen on the late Robin Williams' star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in Los Angeles, California August 12, 2014. Comedians, politicians and several generations of fans collectively mourned on Tuesday the death of Robin Williams, the actor famous for his frenetic and freewheeling comedy whose apparent suicide at age 63 prompted an outpouring of tributes.
'Teen Wolf' Season 4, Episode 8 Recap/Spoilers: Scott Thinks His Dangerous Plan Worked, Lydia Discovers Banshee Family Secret
Actor Robin Williams became a trending topic as the news of his shocking death spread like wildfire with hastags #RobinWilliams and #RIPRobinWilliams on Twitter. According to an Express report, Robbie Williams, 40, also became a trending topic as some Twitter users mistakenly believed that the British singer had died that day.
Some tweets expressed shock that Robbie Williams is gone and remembered the singer through his songs such as "Angels" and "Rock DJ." Even Spanish professional footballer Sergio Ramos made a mistake on Twitter.
The celebrity mix-up continued as well on Facebook where Robbie Williams' official page received numerous tributes. Meanwhile, a Mail Online report revealed that the Twitter users got upset with TalkSPORT presenter Alan Brazil's comment that Robin William's suicide was selfish.
"I believe he's got a daughter as well, what's she feeling like this morning? Now she's got to sort the arrangements out. I think it's shocking, I really do. I don't have a lot of sympathy, I'm sorry," the radio host stated. Some Twitter users expressed anger over Brazil's comments and even called out to TalkSPORT to do something about it.
The website further revealed that the issue reached the station and immediately apologised on the presenter's behalf. "TalkSPORT would like to apologise for any offence caused. Alan's comments do not reflect the views of the station," an unnamed spokesman stated.
Hollywood actor Robin Williams was found dead inside his house in Tiburon, California on Aug. 11, 2014. Susan Schneider, the 63-year-old actor's wife, released an emotional statement regarding the tragic death of her husband and best friend. Schneider hopes the people will focus on the joy and laughter that Robin Williams gave to millions and not on the actor's death.
More Articles to Read:
Nina Dobrev, Kellan Lutz: Twilight Actor Jokes about Distance Rule with Vampire Diaries Actress at 2014 Teen Choice Awards to Avoid Dating Rumours [VIDEO] - [READ]
Kit Harington: Game of Thrones Actor Says Goodbye to His Jon Snow Look for Character in Testament of Youth Film [WATCH VIDEO] - [READ]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- Nina Dobrev To Quit 'The Vampire Diaries' As She Feels 'Uneasy' Working With Ex Ian Somerhalder In Nikki Reed's Presence- Reports
- ‘Batman vs. Superman’ Bruce Wayne May Be In Trouble In Leaked Video [Spoilers]
- Season 4 ‘American Horror Story-Freak Show’ Update: Introduction Of Twisty The Clown Is ‘Brutal’ [VIDEO]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Filming Spoilers: Beardless Rick Grimes Seems To Be On The Set
- Robert Pattinson Is Not Proposing FKA Twigs Plus What Kristen Stewart Thinks About RPatz's New Romance- Reports
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate