Victoria Azarenka to Miss Cincinnati Title Defense Due to a Right Knee Injury, Hopeful for 2014 US Open
By James Patrick Quizon | August 15, 2014 12:59 AM EST
Victoria Azarenka won’t have a chance to defend her Cincinnati Masters title after withdrawing from the Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) tournament in Mason, Ohio due to an injury to her right knee.
Aug 8, 2014; Montreal, Quebec, Canada; Victoria Azarenka (BLR) hits a backhand against Agnieszka Radwanska (POL) on day five of the Rogers Cup tennis tournament at Uniprix Stadium.
"I started to feel a little bit better and did everything I could, but it's just not enough time for me to feel good to play a full match," said Azarenka, who lost in the quarterfinals of the 2014 Rogers Cup where she aggravated the knee injury. "I'm going to get more treatment and get more work done and should be good for the U.S. Open."
She also announced the development on Twitter saying that it was the best possible decision for her career.
Unfortunately I won’t be playing in Cincinnati this year. But I had to make the best decision for me. I will definitely be back next year
— victoria azarenka (@vika7) August 12, 2014
The 25-year-old Belarusian won the Cincy event, which is also known as the Western & Southern Open, in 2013 when she beat American Serena Williams in three sets, 2-6, 6-2, 7-6 (6).
Azarenka was replaced by German Mona Barthel, who is ranked 44th in the world.
It has been a frustrating WTA season for Azarenka, who has yet to win a title in 2013. The farthest she got was a quarterfinals appearance in Montreal, Canada and in the same round at the 2014 Australian Open. She has a record of 10 wins against 7 losses in 17 matches this year.
But while Azarenka will miss the action in Cincinnati, she still hopes to be ready to play in New York for the 2014 US Open, which is scheduled from August 25 to Sept 8, 2014.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Sugar Ray Leonard Adds Fuel To Pacquiao-Mayweather Clamour
- WWE Update: Bray Wyatt’s Twitter Post Hints Upcoming Fight With Sting [VIDEO]
- Rafael Nadal Gives Li Na Flowers, A Teary Farewell At Beijing China Open
- Muslim NFL Player Husain Abdullah Penalised For Praying After Touchdown
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Samsung Aware Of Gap Issue On Galaxy Note 4, Mentions It As Important Manufacturing Feature In Note 4 User Manual
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money