Alexander Gustafsson Demands For His Title Match With Jon Jones
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | August 14, 2014 8:36 PM EST
Everybody wants a crack at the UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones.
The man originally scheduled to brawl with Jones, Alexander Gustafsson is demanding that Daniel Cormier gat back in line and he move back up front, where he initially belonged. The Swede was forced to back out of UFC 178 slated for Sept. 27 at MGM Grand in Las Vegas due to an ill-timed torn meniscus.
According to MMA Junkie, now that the fight has been moved back to a tentative date of Jan. 3, 2015, Gustafsson is more than ready to reclaim what is his.
"I just heard the news that Jones is injured and the fight is rescheduled to January 3????" Gustafsson took to Facebook his frustration after being informed that Jones will still face Cormier. "Until then, I will be more than ready, it was MY fight to begin with and I WANT the fight as the number 1 contender. End of story!!"
Daniel Cormier was the substitute to the scheduled UFC 178 main event. The upcoming fight produced much hoopla when Jones and Cormier starred in a street brawl during the photo shoot in Las Vegas. Cormier took offense of a head butt that Jones gave when they came face to face. Both parties made amends and supposedly were preparing for the upcoming match and that is when the unfortunate Jones injury happened.
The reigning light heavyweight champion suffered a knee injury specifically a torn meniscus that will need considerable time to heal. The match was moved to 2015 and even Cormier was initially unsure if he was still on the schedule.
He relayed during America's Pregame show his fears of him being forced out of the fight given that the timetable for Gustafsson and Jones will now open a window for those two to meet. Then, UFC Chief Executive Officer Lorenzo Fertitta stood in between and allayed any fears of Cormier, saying he would still be in the main bout.
That is where all the anger of Gustafsson comes from. The Swede especially believes that the UFC should not be pressured to pairing up the two together just because of a street fight that happened during media day. He believes that he is the only fighter to take the champion to the brink of defeat and deserves a second shot to finally put one over Jones.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate