Alexander Gustafsson Demands For His Title Match With Jon Jones
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | August 14, 2014 8:36 PM EST
Everybody wants a crack at the UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones.
The man originally scheduled to brawl with Jones, Alexander Gustafsson is demanding that Daniel Cormier gat back in line and he move back up front, where he initially belonged. The Swede was forced to back out of UFC 178 slated for Sept. 27 at MGM Grand in Las Vegas due to an ill-timed torn meniscus.
According to MMA Junkie, now that the fight has been moved back to a tentative date of Jan. 3, 2015, Gustafsson is more than ready to reclaim what is his.
"I just heard the news that Jones is injured and the fight is rescheduled to January 3????" Gustafsson took to Facebook his frustration after being informed that Jones will still face Cormier. "Until then, I will be more than ready, it was MY fight to begin with and I WANT the fight as the number 1 contender. End of story!!"
Daniel Cormier was the substitute to the scheduled UFC 178 main event. The upcoming fight produced much hoopla when Jones and Cormier starred in a street brawl during the photo shoot in Las Vegas. Cormier took offense of a head butt that Jones gave when they came face to face. Both parties made amends and supposedly were preparing for the upcoming match and that is when the unfortunate Jones injury happened.
The reigning light heavyweight champion suffered a knee injury specifically a torn meniscus that will need considerable time to heal. The match was moved to 2015 and even Cormier was initially unsure if he was still on the schedule.
He relayed during America's Pregame show his fears of him being forced out of the fight given that the timetable for Gustafsson and Jones will now open a window for those two to meet. Then, UFC Chief Executive Officer Lorenzo Fertitta stood in between and allayed any fears of Cormier, saying he would still be in the main bout.
That is where all the anger of Gustafsson comes from. The Swede especially believes that the UFC should not be pressured to pairing up the two together just because of a street fight that happened during media day. He believes that he is the only fighter to take the champion to the brink of defeat and deserves a second shot to finally put one over Jones.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- Manny Pacquiao Calls Out On Floyd Mayweather Jr. Again After Unbeaten Boxer Mocks Him With His KO Video
- NFL Thanksgiving Games: Chicago Vs. Detroit, Philadelphia Vs. Dallas, And Seattle Vs. San Francisco Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Phil Hughes No More: Australian Batsman Dies at 25
- 2014 NFL Thanksgiving Games Results: Detroit Lions, Philadelphia Eagles, Seattle Seahawks Notch All-Important Wins With Major Postseason Implications
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Australian and Other Select Earth Locations Hold Proofs Life Once Existed On Mars – Report