Viral Video: Pig Braves Hawaiian Waves To Surf
By Tanya Diente | August 14, 2014 6:21 PM EST
A YouTube video showing a pig surfing in Hawaii caught the attention of online masses. Viewers who saw the video were surprised to see a pig practically riding the waves in Hawaii.
The surfing pig's name is Kama and it's the mascot for Hawaii's Sandy Beach Park on the island of Oahu.
According to the Independent, its owner, Kai Holt, first discovered the pig's penchant for swimming when he fell into the pool. Then, he figured if it can swim, then it could probably also surf.
"I was like 'oh he can swim - guarantee he can surf'," Holt said in the GoPro video below.
Holt recalled the surfing pig was a mere piglet, less than a week old, when it was welcomed into the family.
Holt said Kama's first surfing experience started when it trailed after him into the water. Then, his pet pig just "jumped onto the board" and joined him while he paddled out to surf.
Kama is no professional surfer, but according to his owner, "he knows what he's doing."
"When we start curling he'll back up and let the nose up out the water and when we start levelling off again he'll go straight back to the nose," Kai explained in the video.
Kama's hoofs are reportedly very strong as they "just lock right in on the board," according to his owner. Kai said his pig's surfing experience is marked on his board. Anyone who will look close enough will "see all the hoof prints on the nose."
Time reports Kama is not challenged by the waves. It would even stand tall on the board's nose while its owner paddles behind him. From the GoPro camera strapped to its back, viewers can see that the pig loves the salty waters. Although he gets wiped out by the waves, he swims back up to join his owner and surf again.
Kama the surfing pig is now gaining popularity, according to nbcnews. As of date, Kama's surfing video on YouTube has gained more than 2 million views with 14,000+ likes. The video was posted on Aug 6. Kai Holt claimed his pet has liked to surf against strong currents, preferrably in three to four feet of the Hawaiian waves.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories