Viral Video: Pig Braves Hawaiian Waves To Surf
By Tanya Diente | August 14, 2014 6:21 PM EST
A YouTube video showing a pig surfing in Hawaii caught the attention of online masses. Viewers who saw the video were surprised to see a pig practically riding the waves in Hawaii.
The surfing pig's name is Kama and it's the mascot for Hawaii's Sandy Beach Park on the island of Oahu.
According to the Independent, its owner, Kai Holt, first discovered the pig's penchant for swimming when he fell into the pool. Then, he figured if it can swim, then it could probably also surf.
"I was like 'oh he can swim - guarantee he can surf'," Holt said in the GoPro video below.
Holt recalled the surfing pig was a mere piglet, less than a week old, when it was welcomed into the family.
Holt said Kama's first surfing experience started when it trailed after him into the water. Then, his pet pig just "jumped onto the board" and joined him while he paddled out to surf.
Kama is no professional surfer, but according to his owner, "he knows what he's doing."
"When we start curling he'll back up and let the nose up out the water and when we start levelling off again he'll go straight back to the nose," Kai explained in the video.
Kama's hoofs are reportedly very strong as they "just lock right in on the board," according to his owner. Kai said his pig's surfing experience is marked on his board. Anyone who will look close enough will "see all the hoof prints on the nose."
Time reports Kama is not challenged by the waves. It would even stand tall on the board's nose while its owner paddles behind him. From the GoPro camera strapped to its back, viewers can see that the pig loves the salty waters. Although he gets wiped out by the waves, he swims back up to join his owner and surf again.
Kama the surfing pig is now gaining popularity, according to nbcnews. As of date, Kama's surfing video on YouTube has gained more than 2 million views with 14,000+ likes. The video was posted on Aug 6. Kai Holt claimed his pet has liked to surf against strong currents, preferrably in three to four feet of the Hawaiian waves.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 2 Major Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Strangers’
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Grand Final Sing-Off: Marlisa Punzalan, Dean Ray and Brothers 3 [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’: Blake And Louise Tell The True Story
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Promo, Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘Four Walls And A Roof’
- ‘Days Of Our Lives’ (DOOL) Oct. 20-24 Spoilers: An ‘Unexpected Visitor’ Changes Everything For Sami Plus Updates On Salemites
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage