Seven Network Calls Airing of ‘Family Guy’ Episode Featuring Robin Williams After His Death Just ‘Coincidence’ [VIDEO]
By Anne Lu | August 14, 2014 4:12 PM EST
Seven Network claims that the airing of “Family Guy” episode that poked fun at Robin Williams hours after the actor was found dead was just a “coincidence.”
The network was accused of being insensitive after it aired an episode of the U.S. animated series featuring Williams on Tuesday night.
Flowers are seen on the late Robin Williams' star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in Los Angeles, California August 12, 2014. Comedians, politicians and several generations of fans collectively mourned on Tuesday the death of Robin Williams, the actor famous for his frenetic and freewheeling comedy whose apparent suicide at age 63 prompted an outpouring of tributes.
Williams was found dead on Monday in his home around noon local California time, with the news of his tragic passing was quickly disseminated to the media.
Fourteen hours later, the network aired the networks’ 7Mate aired an episode of “Family Guy,” which features a scene with Williams.
The episode titled “Big Man on Hippocampus” sees Peter Griffin losing his memory after being knocked out. There’s one scene in the episode where Stewie Griffin accuses the family of pretending he doesn’t exist like “Robin Williams’ agent pretends he’s still funny.” Williams is then seen being assured by his agent that he is still funny.
It was first aired in January 2010 in the U.S.
Viewers took to Twitter to express their outrage over Network Seven’s alleged exploitation of the beloved actor’s death.
Whoever @7Mate_TV decided to air that episode of family guy with the cutaway Robin Williams gag. Not thought through. Just kinda awkward...
— Brandon Dyson (@Dyso7) August 12, 2014
@7Mate_TV & maybe reviewed that before it went to air tonight? Absolutely disgusted — Alysha McKay (@LyshJ89) August 12, 2014
@7Mate_TV, I love Family Guy, but please check your content before screening. Poor taste.
— Kate Mulvany (@Kate_Mulvany) August 12, 2014
Well done @7Mate_TV Screening a family guy with a bad Robin Williams joke tonight. #badtiming — Rob Devitt (@RobDTweet) August 12, 2014
Whaaattt!!! @7Mate_TV do you actually realise which episode of family guy you just showed ?!? Well done on abusing robin Williams..... )':
— Steph (@Steph_Murray15) August 12, 2014
.@7Mate_TV A little insensitive to play a family guy that bags Robin Williams today. — Sam P (@sam1pm) August 12, 2014
However, Seven denied that it was a deliberate move on their part, telling Mumbrella that it was just a “coincidence.”
In the UK, BBC also had to explain an “uncanny coincidence” after it aired another “Family Guy” episode featuring Williams and suicide a few minutes before the Oscar-winning actor’s death was announced.
The episode “Viewer Mail #2” was aired on BBC Three between 11:25 pm and 11:45 pm on Monday, while the tragedy was reported close to 12 pm on the same day.
In one of the stories in the episode, Peter wishes for everyone to turn into Robin Williams. After he is struck by lightening, he develops a Midas Touch-like power and everything he touches, including inanimate objects, turns into Williams. Frustrated with his now-unwanted power, Peter tries to commit suicide.
BBC explained that it was just an “uncanny coincidence” that they aired the episode just minutes before Williams’ death announcement.
“The episode ended just as the news broke about his death. This was a repeat that we have shown a couple of times before, so who could have planned that?” a spokesman told MailOnline.
“It was scheduled more than two weeks ago so it is just an uncanny coincidence. Some of our people who work here noticed that the death of Robin Williams was announced just as this episode ended.”
The rep added that the episode was scheduled for repeat on Friday, but they have now decided against that.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7, Episode 7 Spoilers: Gemma’s World Starts To Crumble in ‘Greensleeves’ [VIDEO]
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Plot Update: Sexy Scenes Revealed, Jamie Dornan Kisses Dakota Johnson In Reshoot
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- 'Castle' Season 7 Spoilers, Speculations: Stana Katic's Beckett To See Nathan Fillion's Rick 'On A Sugar Rush' Again [REVIEW]
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery