Australian Cinematographer Don McAlpine Gives Insight on Obsessiveness of Robin Williams
By Afza Fathima | August 14, 2014 4:11 PM EST
Don McAlpine, the veteran Australian cinematographer had worked with Robin Williams in three movies. He spoke about the obsessiveness of Robin WIlliams.
The comedian and actor, for his character of a lovable defector to the U.S. in the drama Moscow On The Hudson, learnt how to play the saxophone and speak Russian. McAlpine said that Williams insisted on learning to play the sax for the soundtrack and was also fluent in Russian when the movie began to be shot.
Robin Williams gestures during a panel discussion for his upcoming HBO show "Robin Williams: Weapons of Self-Destruction" at the Television Critics Association Cable summer press tour in Pasadena, July 30, 2009.
For the movie Mrs. Doubtfire, he would be obsessive about getting the perfect take and would give about 40 to 50 takes to make sure it is perfect. He would arrive at 2 am as his make-up would require 5 hours, after which he would shoot for 12 hours.
McAlpine noted that Williams was obsessed about pleasing his audience in such a way that it was "almost to a fanatic level."
Williams and McAlpine worked together in Nine Months, a romantic comedy as well. Apart from acting and being a comedian, Williams was interested in so many other things. After his performances, he'd leave behind his acting and would be a completely different character.
McAlpine paid tribute to his obsessive genius and said, "It was a sort of madness but out of that madness came wonderful entertainment."
Apart from McAlpine, Williams' family have released statements to the media of their loss.
His daughter Zelda Williams said that the world, after his loss, has become a little darker, less colourful and less full of laughter. She mentioned that he was warm, even in dark moments. She feels gratitude towards all the people who have offered their condolesences and also added that despite being loved deeply, he felt the need to leave the world. She is comforted by the millions of people who understand the family's grief and loss.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Kids Whose Parents Went To College Eat Healthier, Study Finds
- Sugar Is The Major Cause Of Obesity: Top 5 Ways To Reduce Your Sugar Intake
- Hip Hop Mogul Russell Simmons Says In New Book That Meditation and Yoga Can Make You Rich
- Australia Hits An All-Time High With Cases Of Syphilis
- 5 Countries That Make The Best Beer