TIFF 2014: Four Short Films to Watch at Toronto International Film Festival
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | August 14, 2014 4:09 PM EST
The Toronto International Film Festival officially announced the list of films to be shown in its 39th edition in July. The list includes some of the most talented names in the short film category. Here are the four of them.
A military truck belonging to the Saudi border guards force patrols near a fence on Saudi Arabia's northern borderline with Iraq, in this July 14, 2014 file photo.
8 bullets (France) - Director: Frank Ternier
The official Web site of the festival describes this film as a "feverish, suspenseful mixed-media animation" which is about a French expat in Taipei. Gabriel, the protagonist of the film, finds out the man who, according to him, killed his wife. He only knows that it was a red-haired man who used his weapon on his family. He feels empty, "a hole in the head," since the stranger killed his family.
(NULL) (Germany) - Directors: David Gesslbauer and Michael Lange
This 4 min 21 sec film does not have any dialogue. Yet, it managed to be one of the most expressive films at the festival. It won several awards which included Best Picture U.F.O. Film Festival 2014, Short Tiger 2014 and Best Experimental Film Bucharest 2013. The film was shown at Art Film Festival Cannes 2014. In the words of the official Web site, it is a "delightfully unique vision of a trip around the wheel of life."
Eye & Mermaid (Qatar/Saudi Arabia) - Director: Shahad Ameen
This film is about a little girl Hanan. Her father brings black pearls which she finds to be stunning. She decides to follow the men who go to the sea. The official description of the film says that it is about "beauty, freedom, riches" - the most cherished things. Those, on the other hand, may come at a terrible cost.
The Last Day of Summer (The Netherlands) - Director: Feike Santbergen
The film is about three teenagers who spend the last day of summer on a quiet beach. One of the friends gets a phone call to be informed of a tragic update which makes them realise that the future is not going to be the same any more. While they deal with the shock, they try to find "solace beneath the expansive, uncaring canopy of the overcast skies."
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 1, 2014: Hope Reveals Something To Wyatt And Katie Almost Loses A Loved One [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Bachelor Australia' Season 2 Preview: Someone Drops The L Bomb, Marriage Proposal In Season Finale
- “American Horror Story” Season 4 Spoilers: Emma Roberts' Maggie And Evan Peters’ Jimmy Darling To Be In A Romantic Relationship
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5: Human Flesh Burgers Unveiled To Celebrate TWD’s New Season
- George Clooney Divorced Talia Balsam Years Before Getting Married to Amal Alamuddin: Know About Clooney's Ex Wife
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Samsung Aware Of Gap Issue On Galaxy Note 4, Mentions It As Important Manufacturing Feature In Note 4 User Manual
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money