Canadian Superstar Singer Celine Dion Puts Singing Career on Hold to Take Care of Ailing Husband Rene Angelil
By Indrani Bhattacharyya | August 14, 2014 3:46 PM EST
Canadian superstar singer Celine Dion is passing through a rough patch.
Celine has decided to put her career on hold as she wants to devote her time for sick husband Rene Angelil.
The singer who created waves with the song My Heart Will Go On across the world, reportedly cancelled her Asia tour, made a postponement of her Las Vegas Residency and put every other show business-related commitments on hold because of Angelil's continuous health problems.
Canadian singer Celine Dion receives the trophy for 'Entertainment' during the Bambi 2012 media awards ceremony in Duesseldorf in this file photo from November 22, 2012.
According to the report by Daily Mail, Angelil, 72, had surgery to remove a cancerous tumour from his throat in December, this eventually led to a 'very difficult and stressful time,' Dion commented in a statement on Wednesday.
Dion herself is not keeping well too. She has been fighting an inflammation in her throat muscles. As a result, she has not been able to perform live since July 29, show organisers said.
The extremely talented singer is presently cancelling shows, which were scheduled on March 22, 2015, including a tour in Asia that was planned for fall and regular shows at The Colosseum at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas.
“I want to devote every ounce of my strength and energy to my husband's healing, and to do so, it's important for me to dedicate this time to him and to our children,” the star vocalist was quoted saying.
“I also want to apologise to all my fans everywhere, for inconveniencing them, and I thank them so much for their love and support,” she further added.
In June, after serving for as long as three decades, Angelil retired as Dion's manager.
Their story started once Dion met him as a teenager. They got into a romantic relationship later when she was 19 and Angelil was 45.
Dion temporarily retired from performing in 1999 while her husband was battling throat cancer. Most of her recordings are in English and French, and she has admirers worldwide. The five-time Grammy Award winner Dion enthralls audience even today with equal intensity.
Originally from Quebec, Canada, the couple presently lives in Las Vegas with their three children.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Sugar Is The Major Cause Of Obesity: Top 5 Ways To Reduce Your Sugar Intake
- Ebola Survivors' Blood Sold in Black Market, WHO Warns Buyers of Risks Including Death
- Jennifer Lopez's Diet and Fitness Secrets Revealed: Ways by Which She Keeps Her Lower Body Toned
- Hip Hop Mogul Russell Simmons Says In New Book That Meditation and Yoga Can Make You Rich
- Kids Whose Parents Went To College Eat Healthier, Study Finds
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Unofficial ‘Samsung Galaxy Alpha’ Can Now Be Purchased For $700 In The US
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Sony Xperia E3 vs. Moto G (2014) – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown