Robin Williams Cause of Death is Asphyxia Due to Hanging: Other Celebrities Who Comitted Suicide
August 14, 2014 3:27 PM EST
Robin Williams Cause of Death is Asphyxia Due to Hanging: Other Celebrities who Comitted Suicide
On Monday at 12:02 pm, the world lost an amazing actor and comedian, Robin Williams. Lt Keith Boyd of the Marin County Sheriff's Office said that the preliminary cause of his death was "asphyxia due to hanging." Glancing through the reports, Boyd said that the actor's wife, Susan Schneider, went to bed at 10:30 pm on Sunday, while her husband slept in another room in their home in Tiburon, California.
She left home in the morning without checking on Williams as she thought he was still asleep. His assistant came later and knocked on the door, but after several knocks and no response, he sensed something was wrong. "The assistant found Williams in the room, where he was slightly suspended in a seated position," Boyd said. He immediately called 911.
"The caller was distraught and indicated at that time it was an apparent suicide due to a hanging had taken place and that rigor mortis had set in," Boyd said. He was found suspended from a belt that was jammed between a closet door and the door frame.
They had also found cut marks on his wrist and a pocket knife near to him. The 63-year-old actor's life was not all rosy. He had undergone treatment for drug addiction in the early 70s and 80s. However, if the Oscar-winning actor was under drugs will be known after the toxicology test results would be out. Boyd states that the results would be released after two to six weeks.
He also went to the rehab again in 2006 to come out of alcoholism. Williams took treatment for depression as well. His family, friends and fans are heartbroken. The social media had several tributes dedicated to the great actor. Within 24 hours of the news of his death, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline in New York received several calls. The officials stated that the past 24 hours has seen the second-highest volume of calls in the last 12 months.
Robin Williams is one among the many other celebrities who have committed suicide. Marilyn Monroe, sex symbol of Hollywood and actress, committed suicide at the age of 36. Kurt Cobain, Tony Scott, young Seattle rapper and Freddie E, committed suicide as well.
National Health Service stated that alcoholism and depression are the main causes of suicide. "Women are more likely to attempt suicide, but men are more likely to succeed. Suicide death rates are more than three times higher in men than in women," the NHS explained.
It noted that suicide was common in certain age groups, middle-aged men between 30 to 44 years had the highest suicide rate. In women, suicide is most common between the ages of 45 and 59 years. Experts believe that suicidal thoughts are linked to a few main reasons, though they are not limited to these alone. Having a traumatic childhood, a history of sexual or physical abuse, or a history of parental neglect, mental illness, drugs or substance abuse, poor financial conditions or unemployment and bad relationships were the main reasons specified.
- Budget 2014: Treasurer Joe Hockey Acknowledges Unpopularity of 1st Coalition Budget, Which Includes 16,000 Job Cuts & Deficit Tax
- Japan merchandise trade balance
- Could The Syrian Downing Of A Turkish Jet Bring In NATO?
- Breast Cancer iPhone App Enlists Hunky Men to Remind Women About Self-Examination
Join the Conversation
- Maria Menounos Lost 40 Pounds; She Follows a Low Carb Vegetarian Diet, Her Weight Loss and Fitness Secrets Revealed
- 'Django Unchained' Actress Danielle Watts Mistaken As Prostitute And Arrested; Accused Police of Racism
- Airborne Version of Ebola Virus Could Wipe Out 1.2 Million; Aussie Doctor Appeals For Help
- A Wife's Happiness is More Crucial Than Her Husband's For a Long Lasting, Happy Marriage, Finds Study
- Kim Kardashian's Pregnancy Glow Returns; Rumour Mill Suggests That Kim Is Pregnant
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date